What do you consider the first high-speed internet?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What do you consider the first high-speed internet?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alice M. Fisher 11 years ago.

• Author

Jack Holt
    Participant

I’m gathering thoughts.

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Jack, I think your question is a great continuing evolution of a first question posted on who Invented the Internet and there is an initial reference to this discussion topic
    regarding a previous post around December 12th which you may find interesting and of
    value to help answer the question.

What are your thoughts regarding “First”, and “high speed”?

High speed in 1967, had a much different frame of reference in meaning, then high speed today.

Reference:
    https://www.govloop.com/forum/topics/question-of-the-day-who

Internet History
    http://www.isoc.org/internet/history

Jack Holt
    Participant

Wow, great stuff, Alice. Thanx. And you start with two good questions that I want to explore. When I ask for the “first high-speed” I’m looking at the first indication of an advance in the speed of communication. I would like to posit that the “first, high-speed” internet was the Roman all-weather roads. As with ARPANET, the hard-surface Roman roads were built as a measure to advance Roman national security. It allowed the military to move more quickly from the garrisons to the front lines and ensured that messengers from the frontiers could more reliably and more quickly cover the increasing distances to deliver their messages allowing commanders, governors, and resources to be more quickly informed, decisions to be made, actions taken and resources moved. It shortened the Roman OODA loop.

I bring this up so that we might examine how people have adopted, adjusted, and accomodated these changes in communication technology to better understand what we might, can, should be doing now in our time. As an example, the Roman roads gave rise to the planning of communities and the development of street addresses which gave rise to the first postal system. What similarities do we see today as we move from email exchanges to social networks? What does this mean for government communication with the public?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.