What do you mean I’m not a federal employee!? I worked on the Hill!

Home Forums Careers What do you mean I’m not a federal employee!? I worked on the Hill!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Binkley 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Paul Binkley
    Participant

Being a career adviser in Washington, DC, means that the number of people with Capitol Hill experience or interest in the Hill is about a BILLION times larger than anywhere else in the country.

When would-be federal workers with Hill experience (employees not interns) apply to USAJobs how do they answer the question: Are you a current or recent federal employee?

Technically, they have worked for the federal government, but in the Legislative branch which means they don’t have a GS paper trail. Those who work for GAO, CBO or CRS are considered federal employees though.

How can those on the Hill square the circle of being a federal employee without being able to identify themselves as such to HR? Hill experiences is often very valuable to the executive branch, especially outside the beltway where there is less exposure to (and interest in) Capitol Hill.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.