What do you “most need to do?”

Home Forums Careers What do you “most need to do?”

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ran across this quote by Tim Ferriss, author of the bestselling “4 Hour” book series. (I am currently learning the principles of “automation” as they apply to increasing the efficiency of groups – fantastic.)

The basic idea behind all his work (Ferriss’ “brand”) is intentional lifestyle design. He believes that we waste a lot of time on basically…nothing. What would happen if we instead pursued real, meaningful goals intently and got everything else out of the way?

Ferris says:

“What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.”

So my question is, is Ferris right? And if so, what do you need to do, that you fear doing most?

– Source: Timothy Ferriss, The 4 Hour Workweek, Expanded And Updated: Expanded And Updated, With Over 100 New Pages Of Cutting Edge Content.

Also see Ferris’ blog.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I need to plan for retirement, but I’m fearful of what lies ahead. I don’t golf, fish, or enjoy daytime television, so I’ll need to start a new career. My first career (military) was for education, my second (federal) was to serve a higher cause, and my third career will be to pursue meaningful work while enjoying life. I only have one life to live, so I need to make a good decision, which I fear I won’t make the right decision.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Love your comment on this, Terry. If I could “awesome” it, I would.

@Terry: “I need to make a good decision, which I fear I won’t make the right decision.” Very well said. So often we put off making decisions altogether out of fear of being wrong…but we can forget that the delay can make us wrong too.

(On another level – when did we get so afraid of being wrong in the first place?)

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: “Failure is the tuition you pay for success” – Walter Brunell

To answer Dannielle’s question, “when did people get so afraid”, I think that fear is just a natural part of being human. It started when we were born. It’s not no so much about “when” or “why” we get so afraid. I think its most useful to think about our reactions to fear when it happens, because it’s going to happen (since its natural). If we can change our perception about failture, we can change our behaviors and then our lifes.

~ Ebony

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.