What do you wish you had known “way back when”?

Home Forums Careers What do you wish you had known “way back when”?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Sperry 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

The first day of May can be somewhat bittersweet for interns and fellows in the professional world.

Many undergrad and graduate students are preparing to leave internships that they have had for a semester or two — and others are getting ready for graduation and entering the working world as full time employees.

I will soon be leaving GovLoop and starting a full time gig with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. And as I reflect back upon my semester-long internship, I started thinking about all of the advice I have received over the years at the end of various gigs.

So, GovLoop community … what advice do you have?

What do you wish you had known “way back when”?

Peter Sperry
    Participant

How fast it all goes by. At 25 you see a 45 year career stretching out ahead and beleive you have time for everything. At 55, you see a 30 year career behind you and wish you had not waited to take advantage of various opportunities no longer available. And do not put your personal life on hold while you build your career. Travel now. Love now. Find a life long hobby now. Excercize now. Take care of yourself now. Do not let any of these wait on your career. Career obsessed drones focused only on grabbing the next rung up the ladder often top out at GS13-15 working for actual human beings with rich personal lives who made to the SES ranaks simply because they are more well rounded.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Great advice. Unfortunately, especially when you’re still just starting a career in this economy, this can be real hard to keep in mind. It’s definitely something that I struggle with.

Pattie Buel
    Participant

There’s a reason Scott Adams never runs out of new material for Dilbert. If you can’t find humor in certain things throughout your day, you will just wind up frustrated.

As someone who is considering the SES, I am hoping that I can effectively balance my personal and professional life. I would love to excel at both, but I don’t want to have to sacrifice time with my family to get a promotion.

Kevin Lanahan
    Participant

I found this on NPR yesterday: 10 things you won’t hear at commencement. It applies to life. The ones that I really liked:

• Don’t make things worse.
    • Don’t try to be great.

I would add: travel now, get a bicycle (and ride it) and, if you don’t like it, stop doing it.

Good luck at USF&W. That’s one of my favorite federal agencies.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.