What does presidential leadership look like?

Home Forums Leadership and Management What does presidential leadership look like?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hannah Ornell 7 years ago.

• Author

Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

This year’s election season was similar to others – many ads were aired, polls conducted, volunteers trained, and doors knocked. And many people talked with their friends, family members, and pollsters about who they thought would be the best leaders at the local, state, and national level. Though individuals may look for different qualities in their leaders, there are usually a few that many agree make the difference between a leader and a GREAT leader.

There’s an interesting piece over at WaPo’s site that delves into what makes a president a great leader. Michael Siegel, author of The President as Leader, an analysis of the leadership skills of five recent American presidents, shares his thoughts with Tom Fox, WaPo blog contributor and vice president for leadership and innovation at the Partnership for Public Service.

Siegel states that a great leader must have a compelling vision for their presidency, the ability and resources to implement that vision, a focused list of goals, and an understanding of the implications of the decisions that they make as president.

What do you think makes a president a great leader? Would you add anything to Siegel’s list?

Hannah Ornell
    Participant

On my flight coming back after Thanksgiving, I read the magazine Real Simple. One of the questions they asked readers was “Which Leadership Qualities Do You Value Most?” Some of the responses, if not all, are relevant to what I’d want in a president. One worth mentioning is having an open mind. With a divided Congress, and our nation nearly split 50/50, it’s important for Obama and Congress to be open to compromise. If you want to see what other readers said, here’s a link to the article: http://www.realsimple.com/work-life/life-strategies/inspiration-motivation/leadership-qualities-00100000089425/index.html

Ami Wazlawik
    Participant

Great list, Hannah – thanks for sharing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.