What does the federal government do for you every hour of every day?

Home Forums Budgeting What does the federal government do for you every hour of every day?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Deena Larsen
    Participant

People are getting more and more upset about these Federal employees who do absolutely nothing for us. Yet without dedicated people in the Federal government, we would not have national parks, national highways,

We need to CLEARLY show what the Federal Government does.

I’d like to put together a little clock/show with something like:

Here is why you should thank a Federal employee every hour of every day:

6:00 am. Your clock radio wakes you up. Thank the Federal Communications Commission for the radio band. Thank National Institute of Standards and Technology for that atomic clock. Thank Bonneville Power Administration for your power…

Can you guys suggest others? Who should we thank for Breakfast? The morning paper/internet news? The commute to work? Working environment?

Thanks!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Commuting – roads to work, the traffic system, the public transportation

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

Internet – for work and home use!

Andy Oram
    Participant

Vibrant neighborhoods are often described as the foundation of
    well-run cities. Everybody loves it when they visit an area with
    interesting stores and restaurants. And these areas are created
    through the zeal of private entrepreneurs. But how could you trust the
    wares in these stores or eat at one of the restaurants if you were
    afraid of coming away sick? Government inspectors; they’re a key part
    of the system.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Weather forecasts…weather service

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

Good point! My son just graduated from a Culinary certificate program and the very first class he had to take and pass, before he could continue in the program, was the “Serve-Safe” class. The entire class was about the proper storage procedures for foods, temperatures, cleaning procedures in kitchens, cleaning equipment and utensils, etc. If they didn’t pass and get their “Serve-Safe” certificate, they couldn’t continue on in the program, thus they couldn’t work in a kitchen.

Excellent thought!

Martha Garvey
    Participant

Courthouses, border crossings, federal buildings in general, presidential transition, Pueblo.gov. (Plugging my own client.)

Tara*
    Participant

I might be a bit biased, but I think we should all thank the Food and Drug Administration every time we eat, take medicine, use a microwave oven, watch TV, talk on our cell phones, go for our flu (and all other) vaccinations, take our pets to the vet, put on makeup, sit in front of our computers for hours on end, donate or receive blood, drink a soda… The list goes on and on. You pretty much can’t go through a day without using something (usually several things) that the FDA regulates.

Jennifer Morrison
    Participant

When I teach Intro to Public Administration, one of my first class sessions, I ask the students to list how government has affected their lives since they got up this am (or whenever). Speed limits, the tag on the hair dryer saying not to use in the shower, public university, tax on clothes, tuition, textbooks, nutritional info on breakfast cereal, me getting paid, the sign at the McDonald’s drive thru that tells you the coffee is hot…. everything has government involved in some little way!! I love this question!!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

That’s great…sounds like a fun class

Deena Larsen
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I have a draft of the document we want to send–would your class have some time early this week to look at it? See if there are other things to say?

Thanks!

Deena

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

Sure, I’d love to take a look at it. Send it on!!

Deena Larsen
    Participant

I tried to “friend you”–I need an email address. Or email me at [email protected] so I can email you?

Sue Webster
    Participant

7:00 am – Food Safety & Inspection Service, US Department of Agriculture for the services provided in ensuring that the food I eat is good/safe to eat!

Jennifer Morrison
    Participant

I am not teaching this semester. Sorry!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.