What Government Agencies Do You Follow on Facebook?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What Government Agencies Do You Follow on Facebook?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Joe Williams 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Allison Primack
    Participant

Here’s a list of some of the most popular ones:

1) The White House (1,158,673 like this)

2) The US Marine Corps (1,817,690 like this)

3) NASA (555,425 like this)

4) Barak Obama (23,064,715 like this)

What makes these Facebook fan pages stand out? What government agencies do you follow on Facebook?

Also, out of curiosity…

Does your agency have a Facebook fan page? If so, is it successful? Why or why not?

Joe Williams
    Participant

My social media following choices reflects my usage of the different networks.

On Facebook, I follow NASA, and that’s it. My Facebook network consists nearly entirely of family and close friends, and I use the NASA Facebook feed to share a few tidbits from my world.

On Twitter, I follow a number of feeds more for work-related purposes. I follow the official @NASA feed and other NASA-tweeting entities, such as @NASAKepler, @NASA_Technology, and @CassiniSaturn. I also follow a few other Government entities/agencies, such as US Strategic Command (@US_Stratcom), Air Force Space Command (@AFSpace), and OSTP (@whitehouseostp). That’s about it.

What I find successful about the NASA approach is twofold:

1) The NASA website that backs up the official NASA feeds on Twitter and Facebook is excellent. It didn’t get there overnight; it was an evolution over time with a lot of feedback from the audience.

2) The individual Twitter accounts give a first-person voice to different NASA programs, projects, and organizations. One of the earliest I recall is @MarsRovers, tweeting the exploits of Spirit and Opportunity on Mars. There are a bunch of others, and I find them very effective at getting the message out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.