What Makes a good Blog post Brilliant?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What Makes a good Blog post Brilliant?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Dan Slee 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

David Dejewski
    Participant

Curious as to what people’s thoughts are on this subject…

Dan Slee
    Participant

It’s when people have had great ideas, had great results and are keen to share. That makes a good post. It’s when its brilliant that the ideas can be taken up by lots and lots of people….

Tim Constantine
    Participant

I think a blog post can be brilliant in a variety of ways (but probably not all of these ways at the same time).

A brilliant blog post inspires “ah-ha” moments. They make you look at things in a new way.

A brilliant blog post also supports my current thoughts, and lets me know I’m not totally off-base in my thinking.

A brilliant blog post shares actionable steps, or points people to a new resource they can use.

Thomas Fiffer
    Participant

A brilliant blog post has three essential elements: originality, pithiness, and resonance. Either the topic or the approach to it must be novel. The post can’t drag on; each sentence needs to be packed with meaning. And the end result must be that the post resonates with the reader – enough to compel the reader to talk about it and share it through e-mail and social networks.

I agree with all of the points before, but I think the differentiator between a good post and brilliant post is a challenge to the reader – not just actionable steps but a call to action with inspiration to do something greater than what has been done before. For instance, take my colleague Steve Radick’s Twenty Theses for Government 2.0: Cluetrain Style. Most people on GovLoop have probably read it by now, but that post evoked a feeling that we were all a part of something bigger and should do our darndest to advance our cause.

Joshua joseph
    Participant

Also agree with pretty much all the thoughts here. Would add…and maybe this goes without saying…that what makes a post “brilliant” probably also depends on the person reading it. Beyond the basics of good communication, the other stuff (relevance, originality, a meaningful call to action, etc.) is harder to pin down. The reader is the wild card. What I find original may be old hat to you and what resonates can be very personal. I get a sense of this regularly on Twitter, when browsing peoples’ favorites….plus it’s fun!

David Dejewski
    Participant

Viral, inspirational, supportive or correctional, original, pithy, relevant, compelling, clear, solid, accurate, finite, and challenging… What a list! This gives us a lot to work on.

Thank you all for these insightful comments. I plan to personally apply your feedback in my own Blogs and I hope that visitors to this discussion find your comments as helpful as I do.

Joshua, you echo what several others have said and remind us that even if we hit all of the above, that the reader still holds at least half of the control. That’s brilliant all by itself.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Currently reading, “What makes a blog successful?” – http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2009/11/17/what-makes-a-blog-successful/

Some good nuggets here.

Joshua joseph
    Participant

David, thanks for sharing this link…great ideas with lots of links to other great ideas. – jj

Lori
    Participant

A post is brilliant with a user’s own experiences and knowledge added. It adds value and credibility to provide user inputs from a working model of the solution or technical project.

~*Lori*~

Just saw this – great discussion questions you’ve got posted here. The leadership discussion was especially useful.

Here is my two cents on a great blog post. It has to be so honest that it’s almost painful to read.

A great one recently was “AOL Hell”. I don’t know if anyone here has seen it but it actually resulted in the writer being fired from his job. Not because of AOL, but because a celebrity (Alec Baldwin) was offended.

http://thefastertimes.com/news/2011/06/16/aol-hell-an-aol-content-slave-speaks-out/

My sense is that the up and coming generation of writers is going to best us all on blogging because they are just so used to sharing personal feelings and critical thoughts online. I hope these young people continue to write and inspire the rest of us to be as transparent as possible because the honesty can only move important conversations forward.

Thanks for your important contributions to GovLoop.

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

To quote the late, great Ted Sorensen on the attributes of good writing: charity, clarity, levity and brevity 🙂

David Dejewski
    Participant

Wow… That’s quite an article by Oliver Miller. It makes me think that my long, slow, plodding way of writing and clarifying my thoughts would simply never survive corporate sponsorship.

I thnk I’m okay with that. I made few GovLoop friends this week. 😉

David Dejewski
    Participant

Which, it a cool sort of way, is exactly what your reply is.
    You did that on purpose… 😉
    LOL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.