What Makes You Tick?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What Makes You Tick?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Peteritas 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Scott O. Konopasek
    Participant

We all work for government for different reasons: some for job security and retirement, some because it’s a job as good as any other, some because there is not a “civilian” market for their skills and some because of an idealistic notion of public service.

Why do YOU work for government? What makes you tick?

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

For me it’s being on the front end of something. Being able to blaze a trail and yes potentially crash and burn but hopefully move new media forward.

Henry Brown
    Participant

For Me it has varied throughout my career:

Job security until I became “eligible” for retirement late last century was always close to the top of the list, especially after having gone through a couple of downsizing in the private sector. (it certainly makes one appreciate having a regular pay check).

Depending on the job assignment, in those earlier years, not quite sure I would classify my mindset as an idealistic notion of public service, more I believed that I could make a difference.

Like Stephen have always enjoyed being on the “cutting edge” whether it be deploying PC’s to “new users” or developing applications that would provide the same power to the end users that the people in the computer room have had. or ????

an important criteria has always been that I am having fun, this is the only thing that got me within days of putting my retirement papers in 5 years ago.

In the twilight of my career, would offer along with having fun, sharing what knowledge I have gained over the years is what propels me to my computer screen in the morning. Yes I have some involvement with bringing a small piece of the federal public sector to the Gov 2.0 which involves me working with “cutting edge” stuff, Because I can walk away into the sunset at any time job security is no longer has much relevance for me, in fact I have found, to a certain degree, the fact that I could retire tomorrow has increased my ability to influence some to move to the next step of open government

Nichole Henley
    Participant

I whole-heartedly believe that we need to pave the way for everyone (if they choose) to hold a federal position and help to influence work that will be done or is being done; and to have the opportunity to see in a larger sense what it takes to run this country. I work in civilian HR and I believe that this is where I want to be and can be the most productive, provided I have supportive leadership.

I am a huge proponent of development and training and encouraging the use of internships, fellows programs, certificate programs, accreditations, and personal development. I believe that my contributions to the civilian workforce will help to enhance thier skills, broaden their horizons, and equip them with the tools necessary to fully enjoy their experience in the federal government and take those skills elsewhere and be successful too.

Dawn Lautwein
    Participant

I previously worked for a very small family-owned business and was concerned about its longevity, as the owner was reaching retirement age. I wasn’t in any hurry to change jobs, but when I saw the programmer ad for the County, it seemed like it would be a decent, stable job, and as you said, “a job as good as any other”. So in a sense, I took it for job security, but I am very frustrated at people who don’t do their best just because very few people get fired here. Although I didn’t take the job for altruistic reasons, I still take my role as public servant seriously. Being helpful is more important to me than whether I’m making the highest income that I could.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.