What new advice would you give job seekers in 2011?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What new advice would you give job seekers in 2011?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Boelte 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Curt Canada
    Participant

Unemployment remains over 9% and perhaps lower inside the beltway. We are all looking for a brighter picture in 2011. What if any words of wisdom or advice would you like to impart for anyone seeking employment? Tips etc?

Mark Boelte
    Participant

I would not advise any changes from what I have been telling people for the last two years. Networking is your best chance to find a job, customize your resume for each position so it can be scanned in 10 seconds or less and prepare for interview questions instead of winging it. (That is the very, very, very short version of what I teach in Workshops).

Jaqi Ross
    Participant

Network with insiders to learn everything you can about an organization, and put that knowledge to work when you craft a resume tailored to the position you apply for.

Tom Worthington
    Participant

Don’t stop improving your education. This need not be a full formal course, but could be something short and practical. Employers like to see that you have taken the initiative to improve your skills.

Eric Erickson
    Participant

I would say to be patient – getting a job with the government can sometimes take a bit longer than being hired in the private sector – but once in, it’s totally worth the wait and very rewarding!

Eric Hackathorn
    Participant

I would give them a copy of the twelve step guide to being a change agent:

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’d send in fewer applications but spend more time on each application. And be creative – not just mail it in. Find a networked way in, show up at event the hirer may be at

Tam Walton
    Participant

My advice remains constant. Be humble. Treat everyone as a human being with equal respect and integrity. Keep your marketable skills up or improve on them. Use the library – you don’t have the best computer or anything fancy to do research on a company or hiring manager. Use open body language (if you carry yourself like you have a chip on your shoulder, you won’t get far). Last two: Smile and Pray. Smile even if you have had nothing to eat and you just missed the last bus home. Pray. And then smile some more.

I wish everyone the best in 2011!

Tam

Esther Dacanay
    Participant

All of this is fantastic advice. I’d say take a bit of what each has to say and apply it appropriately to your situation….

As for me, I always say, “The best time to look for a job is when you already have a job.” This is the time when you can update your resume with current skillset, hone it in for your next career move, and since you’re already working, time is on your side. Every time I enter a new job, within the very first month, I update my resume on the current job and keep it fresh and updated every six months. During that first year, I am constantly on the lookout for the next great job opportunity. Although I was very content and satisfied at my last job, which I stayed with for about four years, I was still seeking other opportunities and even interviewed for other jobs during that time. It’s a great way to keep that resume fresh and interviewing skills up to date.

As for network connections, there is definitely something to be said about that……

Make an effort to create strong connections with your colleagues. During your time with them, some will leave and go on to their next career move. Staying connected with them (via email or social networking) may help you in the long run at some point and vice-versa for mutual benefit.

Now, if you’re looking for a job and at the moment, you are not currently working, the best thing to do is find contract, freelance, or temporary work. You’ve got to keep that resume fresh and updated because you don’t want potential employers to see that it’s been over a year since you last held a job. That just says to them that it’s been that long since you’ve used your skills. Each time you land a temporary job or contract assignment, update your resume within a week to match that job description and update the “To” and “From” dates so that it’s current. There are lots of temp agencies out there and even plenty of contracting agencies that assign people to government agencies. That is a good way to get “in” the game with public sector. It’s never a guarantee, but it’s a good head start.

And of course, while you are working a temp or contract position, NEVER, NEVER give up the search for your ideal career track. Meaning, constantly apply, sink all your hooks into the water and see what bites first! You always, always want to stay ahead of the game and think two steps ahead of yourself, as in, even while you’re working you always want to aim for lifelong personal and professional development – don’t allow yourself to go stagnant!

Best of luck in all your endeavors! And yes, definitely hold your head up, smile…..and PRAY!

GODSPEED!

“With God, all things are possible” Matthew 19:26

Tom Worthington
    Participant

If you have any skills in the mining industry, them move to Australia: as our Prime Minister says we need everyone we can get for the current mining boom. 😉

On the topic of education, I have proposed turning schools into learning commons, where adults can undertake online courses, as well as children.

It does not seem to make sense to say “that school building is only used during the day by one group of students, if you want to study part time, you have to take the bus across town to an overcrowded vocational education centre”.

Allen Sheaprd
    Participant

Most of the good tips are taken

Here is one more to put it all together – volunteer. You will get:

1) Job experiance and new skills

2) Networking in this and other companies.

3) Show you have a great work ethic.

4) Can show some acomplishments while waitng..

Lastly – not volunteer but temp *and* contract work in or out of your field. It took the government over a year to get back to me on a job opening. By then I was working on a government contract for the government. Go figure.

Good luck.

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

Networking is the best option. If you are looking for a job that will enhance your passion and dreams try to get training in that area. Also, attending conferences and summits are a great way to meet new people at other agencies. Finally, getting the attention from upper level managers will enhance your chances of getting a job within your current organization.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.