What tech features would you like to see in GovLoop?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What tech features would you like to see in GovLoop?

This topic contains 48 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Allgood 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Sam Allgood
    Participant

From what I have seen on GovLoop, we like its feature-set and applications that allow us to collaborate and share ideas and passions. It does a great job, but as with everything, there is room for improvement. From some interaction with Mr GovLoop, I know the admins are looking for recommendations for improvement and features that you would like to see.

From my research I have learned that Ning Apps, based on the OpenSocial framework, form the core of the features on this Ning social network. These Ning Apps appear as the tabs across the top of the page and as Apps that we can add on our profile pages. I believe they also provde the portlet capabilities in the side columns.

Over the last few days I have compiled my own list of recommendations for Ning Apps and other features that may not necessarily be a Ning App. I am going to add my recommendations as individual comments to this post so that people can reply to each one individually. I ask for you to add to the list or comment on these (like/dislike/alter). Also, are there others out there who would be interested in participating in creating Ning Apps for Steve and the gang. I will make that my first comment … reply to that to volunteer / express interest and indicate your experience.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sam Allgood

Sam Allgood
    Participant

I have volunteered to Steve to help with developing Ning Apps, though I don’t have experience with this yet. I am a Sr Web Developer and don’t think it should take too long to figure out how to create them. I started by joining the Ning Creators Network to start learning. Who else can help? Click Reply to This below to chime in. Comment in the main reply box above to make recommendations.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Blog Feeds. There is a Ning App for WordPress, but can only get WordPress blogs. We might actually want to have a way to automatically cross-post blogs here, but that may not be doable.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Opinion. This is an existing Ning App with this description: Ask your members a question and view their responses as a tag cloud or list.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

VoxBox. Another existing Ning App: Simple, yet powerful. Use Polls and Rated suggestions to gather popular opinions. Community decision making made easy.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

A Facebook-like page that shows most recent activity. We have the recent activity portlet on the Main page, but it is pretty short. I think it could be of interest to have a top tab (Ning App) that shows a full page of the most recent activity.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Widget Builder. There are some awesome widgets out there, such as this one from the Food and Drug Administration. It would be nice to have the capability in GovLoop to create widgets for sharing here and other places.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

One other idea is that we need a portlet that can properly handle widgets. I have found that the text editor often modifies something in the embed code for widgets that makes them not display correctly, like above.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Chat (there are existing Ning Apps for both text and video chats).

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Voting/Rating System:

1) for blogs/discussions/comments
    2) for members
    3) used in the leaderboard app for rating members (I have found that the current leaderboard system is no longer available except to those who already had it before it was dropped, therefore it may not be upgradeable. There was discussion though of a replacement app in the future)

This could be either a like/dislike or rating system. I personally like the wikis that provide a 5-star rating system … just click on one of the stars to rate.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Ability to click a link to create blog from existing blog page. One BIG question here though: How do we do this w/o allowing members to ‘steal’ unauthorized content ?

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Links box. This can be done with text box, but would be nice to just provide link and let it get the title from the source, so that we can have an easily editable list of favorite links portlet on our profile page. It would also be nice to have a browser extension that I could click on a page I’m visiting and have it automatically added to my links box on GovLoop. Another plus would be for the links box to highlight a page that has changed.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

A portlet box that allows you to add a widget without it messing up the widget code.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Ability to add more ‘boxes’ on My Page.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Include comments, not just a link, in email announcements about comments added.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Another one we are working on is …Aggregating the top content on a topic on GovLoop (acquisition, comm, etc)

Sam Allgood
    Participant

How are you defining ‘top content’, Steve?

Sam Allgood
    Participant

This would include having my apps show up on My Page as opposed to having to click on a link on My Page to see my apps, at least as an option. There are a number of confusing things about My Apps that I will add later.

Similar to this, Sam, I like the FB homepage where you can see your friends’ most recent activities. There should be a way to pare this down so you can modify/personalize to suit one’s own preferences on the types of feeds received.

Any tool where items can be rated, thumbs up/thumbs down, liked, favorited, etc. would be useful. Otherwise it’s just information without multiple ways to collaborate on and/or sort.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

I wish the area below the top tabs was scrollable so that the tabs remained in view all the time. I guess one solution might be to replicate the tabs into a toolbar on my browser.

This is a key feature on FB and would certainly make GovLoop more useful; providing a variety of tools for communication would also be consistent with current technology like Microsoft Communicator.

I would love to have my twitter status pushed to GovLoop (or pulled) just like linked in and facebook can do.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Michael, I think this exists in GovLoop, or did. Let me check and get back to you.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

I just found that there is an available Chat app in My Apps. Trying to figure out how it works!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Right now you can push your GovLoop status and information to Twitter..

You can pull Twitter into your personal page…but doesn’t update your status.

More to come though as FB/Twitter integration is evolving over 1st quarter.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Actually, it works the other way around. In your settings / My Page, there is a selection to ‘Post my Status updates to Twitter by default’.

There is also a Status application in My Apps which will bring in a feed of your twitter account (or any other feed). The status you enter in that appears to only post to your GovLoop wall (like a comment) and the app as a whole is only visible from your My Apps page.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’m a big fan of ratings and thumbings as well…Sometimes you don’t feel like commenting but recognizing some cool content.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Like FB with a personal GovLoop feed?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Actually chat available now just need to turn it on…Always worry a little bit about feature creep. How do you think would be useful?

We are thinking of discrete times like a GovChat 5-6pm with a guest…

Or should be on all the time?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Thoughts on what would want to see in iPhone (or smartphone) app?

Sam Allgood
    Participant

For any who don’t know, I just recently found out that Ning supports adding /m after a page’s url to display better on a mobile phone.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

yep…do you think i should just promote that more?

Also way playing with this…http://bit.ly/7GxgVN

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Possibly discreet times. I was thinking of it for planned / organized discussions rather than just impromptu discussions. I have it installed on my ministry blog site and it has had hardly any use, but then I don’t have a lot of members yet either ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually, the use of blogs / discussions is more useful and practical anyhow since all that content is saved and available all the time, not just during the chat. But the chat content could probably be saved and posted also.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Possibly … I didn’t know it myself for Govloop. I just knew that it was a common practice and tried it on my cell phone. Not sure how best to promote it. Maybe including a comment about it in the weekly summary?

Joshua Salmons
    Participant

Yeah this would be cool–something like a customizable front page ala iGoogle or whatnot?

Joshua Salmons
    Participant

Yeah chat would be cool. I’m down with seeing some ongoing discussions. As it stands, GovLoop (and a lot of websites, really) sometimes seems like an empty restaurant–it might look inviting, but without customers in the seats, people are more apt to pass it by. Chat might give more credence to the “life” of the site.

Feature creep is a problem, sure. Maybe if chat functionality were built into “discussions” in some way.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Yep, like the FB Home page. One possible difference though … the FB Home page only shows posts by friends. The current GL portlet of recent activities shows everyone’s activities, which I think is more appropriate for GL. Having a friends-only option on the GL feed would be nice also.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

But … I also like it that in FB’s chat feature I can see who is online and click on their name to initiate a chat with them without having to comment on their wall when a quick response is desired. I would love that in GL also.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Group comments should allow for replies directly to a comment rather than just adding another comment to the board.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

I just saw that at least one group (GovLoop Group Creators) has this feature, but others that I have checked do not and I have not been able to uncover where this is controlled. An inquiry is pending.

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Need to get more input on this … what’s on your wish list?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Good point…

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

We are listening ๐Ÿ™‚ Got a GovLoop widget live . Just grab the code

Sam Allgood
    Participant

Steve, I haven’t gotten any more response to this in almost a week now. Overall, I only received responses from 4 people, including yourself.

Do you want to consider it complete? Is there anything you want me to do to organize, prioritize, or otherwise (poetic, huh?) work on it?

Sam

Sam Allgood
    Participant

In order to free up space on the main page and on My Page, recommend removing the block of members / friends pictures. Especially on the main page, it just takes up space with providing nothing meaningful. Member photos would still be available from the Members tab or on individual My Pages.

Robin Paoli
    Participant

I wish non-GovLoopers could at least view our blogs. When I tweet a link to a GovLoop post I’ve written, only GovLoopers can read it. This may not fall under the exact “added tech feature” you’re looking for, maybe this is more about access…? Is there a way to have public and private sections so that people who aren’t members could view selected content?

Sam Allgood
    Participant

That’s very appropriate for here, Robin, and is already being discussed. If you haven’t seen it yet, there is a chance to also voice your opinion at Open GovLoop – You Decide!

I have a question this morning… why would I sometimes get a notification (on my profile page) that a friend invite has been accepted and sometimes I don’t? I just realized this because I went to accept someone else’s friend invite and found a number who had accepted mine, but I hadn’t seen this information show up on my profile page.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.