What the public…and the press…need to understand

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service What the public…and the press…need to understand

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kathryn David 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Lori Winterfeldt
    Participant

I thought that this article pointed out some interesting–and valid–points. Those of us working on IT-related projects and in areas where security and privacy collide with current–and legacy–technology systems can relate to the “pain” caused within these projects.

Volz, Dustin. Obamacare site flaws due to more than talent gap. Nextgov, October 23, 2013.

I think that there is a gap between what government as an entity requires in terms of security and privacy and the operational expectations of the public and those we serve.

Any thoughts on how we bridge that gap? If we don’t, these “debacles” will only continue, in my opinion.

Kathryn David
    Participant

This quote: “Even if you put … the best Apple team on this, they’re working with a different set of rules and restrictions that would not allow them to do what they can do in the private sector,” said Emily Lam, senior director of health care and federal issues at the Silicon Valley Leadership Group.

is exactly what I felt was missing for media coverage. Thanks for sharing the article, Lori!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Also what I feel I haven’t seen is just difficulty of large IT projects regardless of sector (public and private). Computerworld and others have shown just fact that large IT projects usually fail. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t fix – just shows that success is more rare than failure at this level.

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

In this unique and historic situation, I think Uncle Sam should have made an exemption to bypass the traditional convoluted and laborious procurement process.

I agree with folks who say one leading high-tech company should have been brought in to handle the entire construction, coding and website roll out — like Google, Apple, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc. Then waive all the bureaucratic rules due to the historic nature of this situation and let the chosen high-tech company operate as it otherwise would on any major job of this magnitude.

Of course, it’s easy to play “Monday morning quarterback” and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Nonetheless, someone should have known there would be too many cooks stirring the pot, which ultimately resulted in the unfortunate current situation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.