What Unlikely Skills Have You Learned Due to Small Work Staff?

Home Forums Human Resources What Unlikely Skills Have You Learned Due to Small Work Staff?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  William Lim 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

Offices are downsizing staff in order to satisfy lean budgets; remaining employees are being asked to cover projects that were previously done by co-workers; workers are learning skills they never thought they would need.

Doing more with less. Everyone is talking about it.

I began my work in government in communications, writing letters and press releases. I came out with an in-depth knowledge of setting up audio-visual equipment for large conferences and meetings. When I began my job I had no knowledge in this field, but there was a need in my office, no trained staff person, and no money in the budget to contract out the work.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I would know how to work a sound board, or balance the bass and treble of a microphone channel.

What are some unlikely work skills you have learned out of necessity? What role did you fill when no one else could?

William Lim
    Participant

Before law school, I worked for an IT help desk. As one of the younger, tech-savvy lawyers in my office, I’ve become a surrogate IT guy for the folks in my section of the floor, because the actual IT guys sit on the opposite side of the floor and usually don’t respond immediately. Thankfully(?) there’s an even younger lawyer in the cubicle next to mine, and now he gets the brunt of IT questions.

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

I think “becoming the unofficial IT guy or gal” may be a common thing for many people.

I can’t count the times I set a new user up on Microsoft Outlook, programmed someone’s out of office email, or scheduled meetings invitations for a group. There isn’t formal training for these little skills in many offices; practice just makes perfect.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I’ve learned a lot about lab safety procedures and handling materials from my job at Graphene Laboratories. Kind of random but also cool to know.

Jeff Houghton
    Participant

As a new manager had to oversee the full installation of our first computers, which was good for me although a little worried at the time I just applied common sense.

Samuel Lovett
    Participant

I bet your use of common sense turned into an actual skillset pretty quickly. In this case, knowing how a system worked right from the very beginning must have come in handy down the road too.

Jeff Houghton
    Participant

I turned it into more of a skill, buy buying my first home computer and learning what made them work, then learning how to fool them too. Not letting something new scare you, and treating it as a challenge, and once you have learned that too, you have another skill to be used as you go up the ladder.

Carol Davison
    Participant

Cryptology-in the USAF. You would be surprised how often I use these problem solving skills. For example when camping I ripped the bumper off of my car. I temporarily fixed it with bread ties. Also, I don’t know excel as much as I’d like. So I copy the excel I do like and rewrite it to store all of my data in the format that I want.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.