What was your #1 takeaway from the Next Generation of Government Summit

Home Forums Leadership and Management What was your #1 takeaway from the Next Generation of Government Summit

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Doug Mashkuri 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Doug Mashkuri

At last week’s NGG conference there was a tremendous amount of ideas, discussion, networking and all around good times. After attending any conference, I always try and boil it down what was the most important thing I learned and how can I apply it to my career, workplace, boss, staff, etc.

My one nugget of wisdom is that the perceived gap between boomers, Gen X and Gen Y is really not as wide as many would believe. In full disclosure, I am a proud card carrying member of Gen X and have worked will all generations throughout my career. In the most excellent “Bridging the Gap” session there was a lot of discussion around the attributes and characteristics of Boomers, Gen X and Gen Y. While the characteristics were dead on in terms of motivations, intent and attitude – I wonder if those motivations, intent and attitude stay with that person as they move from 20’s to 30’s to 40’s to 50’s and beyond!

My sense is that when I was in my 20’s my behavior/performance was similar to Gen Y (minus the technology advancements available today), my 30’s and 40’s are similar to Gen X and my 50’s may very well be closely mapped to the Boomers.

So…….my take away nugget of wisdom is if I can understand my team’s ideas, attitude and motivations I can effectively lead, follow and grow through shared success. This understanding and knowledge will hopefully eliminate the on-going debate on how generations can work together and focus on building success!

What are your thoughts and nuggets of wisdom?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.