What was your favorite Read on Leadership?

Home Forums Leadership and Management What was your favorite Read on Leadership?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Catherine Littleton 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Catherine Littleton
    Participant

I am trying to create the best reading list for new and existing leaders in government on how to succeed. How best to communicate, persuade, delegate, and behave. Please add your favorites!

Catherine Littleton
    Participant

No one has anything?????

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I regularly recommend “Leadership of Public Bureaucracies: The administrator as conservator” by the late Larry Terry. It is much less a book about the qualities one needs to have or exude as leader, or what makes a good leader, and much more about what a public institution requires of a leader to get done, in order to make the institution true to itself and its mission, and perceived as THE authoritative source of wise decision-making and policy in those areas within its mandate and authorities. The “conservator” part has little to do with “small-c conservatism”, but rather the notion of conservation of the core of a public institution and its mission, and not letting it slip away.

Where it truly shines is in its integrative approach, and attention to all the elements that need to be attended to in order to accomplish that, including things like recruitment strategies, on-boarding, internal and external messaging, KM, and so many more HRM-related things one tends not to stop and consider, as well as which battles to pick…or not. A terrific checklist for anyone interested in maintaining the greatness of an already great organization with important things to do. Chock full of familiar recent historical instances of good and bad choices that illustrate the principles nicely.

At less than 200 pages, including index, references, acknowledgements, and forewords, it is a quick read. Recommended to me by an emeritus professor of government.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I’ll supplement this by noting that the June 2014 issue of the Review of Public Personnel Administration is a special issue focussing on leadership in the public sector.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Check out govleaders.org for a good list.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Some of my favorites are:

-Bureaucracy

-How to Put a Man on Moon – Bill Eggers

Catherine Littleton
    Participant

Did you get a sneak peak of it? How do you know what’s coming in June?

Mark Hammer
    Participant

No sneak peak. It’s just the current issue, if you go to their website.

I save my gift of prophecy for other things. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.