What’s stalling government agencies from moving forward with big data initiatives?

Home Forums Technology What’s stalling government agencies from moving forward with big data initiatives?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Schmidt 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Eric Koch
    Participant

“Despite the numerous benefits that the analysis of big data can deliver to agencies, many are lagging behind in their big data initiatives”, as a recent article by our client, Pitney Bowes Software points out on EngageGovToday.

According to the article, “it’s certainly not a lack of data that’s causing big data initiatives to stall. In fact, considering sequestration, the fiscal cliff and ongoing federal budget issues, some would argue that the efficiencies bred from data analysis are necessary for the government to effectively accomplish its mission and eliminate waste moving forward.”

So what is stalling government agencies from moving forward with big data initiatives?

Link to article: http://engage-today.com/gov/despite-benefits-big-data-initiatives-still-lagging-in-federal-government/

Eric Schmidt
    Participant

Dear Eric,

Happy Holidays to you! and thank you for posting this *timely question!

Apprehension towards beginning “big data initiatives” may be attributed to varying stewardship and budget constraints at different federal agencies. More likely, a shortage of “Data Mining Scientists” whom are able to pilot a 3-month project to demonstrate a meaningful “Result Set” or decision making tool set. At our firm we use Computer Science/Math Students to help with this process.

v/r, Eric

Eric Koch
    Participant

Thanks, Eric for your reply and Happy Holidays to you as well!

Certainly, budget constraints are what most of us think of off the top. I like what you stated about the shortage of “Data Mining Scientists.” I assume this works really well at your firm.

I posted this question on a LinkedIn group and received a response from someone as well. Aside from money being an issue, he also discussed, in length, how our procurement process has a major impact. Here is the link to the thread: http://tinyurl.com/cwkejdl – You should be able to see this without joining since I believe it’s still an open group.

Eric

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.