What’s your #1 Powerpoint tip?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service What’s your #1 Powerpoint tip?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Brown 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Whether we like it or not, a large part of white collar work is in Powerpoint these days. Whether it’s presenting a project overview to your boss or a speech in front of 30 people, most of the time it is done in Powerpoint (some do an occasional Prezi).

Knowing this is true, how do we make great powerpoint presentations? What do you do to make your powerpoint presentations shine at work?

What’s your #1 powerpoint tip?

Henry Brown
    Participant

Test/review before getting in front of the “audience”

Paul Wolf
    Participant

While you asked for my #1 tip, I will nonetheless provide a few that I picked up from Seth Godin & Guy Kawasaki, who are both well known for doing great presentations.

Keep it short in terms of length (20 minutes), 10 slides, 30 point font

Make slides that reinforce your words not repeat them

communicate information through the emotion of photos and not stats

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2005/12/the_102030_rule.html#axzz1knZlDtiP

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2007/01/really_bad_powe.html

Bill Brantley
    Participant

1) Buy Evidence-Based Training Methods: A Guide for Training Professionals by Ruth Colvin Clark and follow her guidelines on how to present visual information effectively.

Kristy Dalton
    Participant

You can’t say it better than comedian Don McMillan’s Life After Death by PowerPoint video:

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

From Twitter

Less words = More impact

Allison Primack
    Participant

Here are a few of the suggestions from GovLoop’s Facebook page:

Jill Huibregtse McCormick I have a few… 1. Use a black background, 2. Less words more images and 3. do not read the slides!

Lauren Modeen Make image entire slide – with just a few words to tell story

Hal Grieb use to accent your presentation, not be your presentation

Jennifer Brand Make the background and text contrasting colors and avoid designs that cut through the text (or move the text so that it doesn’t).

Gayla Pickett Schaefer Use old MySpace code to make YouTube videos autoplay.

Allison Primack
    Participant

Also, there were several suggestions saying to not use Powerpoint at all! Prezi and Keynote seemed to be the alternative programs of choice.

Save early, save often!

I use Prezi at school more than Powerpoint, but someone told me you have to pay for it if you don’t have a .edu email. Not sure if that’s true …

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Some good ones from FB:

• Jill Huibregtse McCormick I have a few… 1. Use a black background, 2. Less words more images and 3. do not read the slides!

2 hours ago ·
    • Dustin Haisler Tip #1 Use Keynote 🙂

about an hour ago ·
    • Sebastian Haselbeck Don’t use Powerpoint

about an hour ago ·
    • Lauren Modeen Make image entire slide – with just a few words to tell story

about an hour ago ·
    • Christopher Fink what´s powerpoint?

about an hour ago ·
    • Hal Grieb use to to accent your presentation, not be your presentation

about an hour ago ·
    • Jennifer Brand Make the background and text contrasting colors and avoid designs that cut through the text (or move the text so that it doesn’t).

about an hour ago ·
    • Nick Charney Use prezi.

52 minutes ago ·
    • Gayla Pickett Schaefer Use old MySpace code to make YouTube videos autoplay.

Deb Green
    Participant

My Top 10 Tips for giving Presentations –

Lesson #1: Powerpoint is an aide to YOUR presentation. It doesn’t give your presentation for you. You’re the star, not Microsoft.

Lesson #2: If you have more than 15 words on a slide, you’re wrong.

Lesson #3: If you have more than one animation or transition on the slide, you’re wrong.

Lesson #4: NEVER use the “typing” animation, and please make sure you NEVER include the sound feature for it. (ok, maybe this is just my pet peeve)

Lesson #5: Use pictures to frame your message or story for the audience.

Lesson #6: Be sure you can give a meaningful presentation even if your A/V goes kaput.

Lesson #7: Be sure you use your agency’s branded presentation template if you’re representing your organization.

Lesson #8: End your Powerpoint presentation with your name, phone number, email address so an audience member can contact you if they need more information

Lesson #9: If you need a presentation that needs more data than pictures, use the notes section to enter your narrative or bullets. Send/give the audience soft copes (or hard, if they’re dinosaurs) including your notes so they can have context after your presentation.

Lesson #10: Storyboard in Powerpoint – then transition your awesomeness to Prezi. 🙂

Justin Kerr-Stevens
    Participant

I always try and abide by the 10:20:30 rule. 10 Slides, 20 point font, talk for no longer than 30 Minutes.

Corey McCarren
    Participant

Not sure how much government workers would be using pecha kucha presentations (20 slides, 20 seconds each), but if you do so, PRACTICE! One of my classmates used a stopwatch to see when to change slides once, it was a catastrophe. Also, in a normal presentation, the Powerpoint should rarely be the focus of the presentation. Make a few key reference points and that’s it.

Deb Green
    Participant

Love the 10 slide rule!

Justin Kerr-Stevens
    Participant

I have to say… it doesn’t always work. There is an occasional ‘bunny in the head lights’ look when I finish… which is the point they realise I’m not there just to talk at them! 😉

Deb Green
    Participant

Putty in your hands… putty in your hands 🙂

Denise Kennedy
    Participant

Love the comments here. If the question is about building a PPT, I find that setting up consistent master slides helps the process. In terms of great Content – Slideology by Nancy Duarte does a great job of the prework that you have to do to develop great content. Brainstorm your themes and messages, understand your audience and their needs and expectations, and then boil that down to visuals and words with meaning.

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Prezi now allows you to drop your Powerpoint slides right into Prezi. It used to take me hours to translate those boring slides into something great…now it is done in minutes. Just visit http://www.prezi.com.

My number one tip is DON’T use Powerpoint…unless you have to.

Sarah L. Gregory
    Participant

Perfect. I am going to stop trying to explain in trainings what is wrong with our scientific PowerPoints and just show this video. 🙂

David Johnson
    Participant

I concur, that sums it up very nicely!

Christie Scott
    Participant

Bring a back up on disk, on flash drive and email it to yourself. And if you can… bring an IT person with you. The place you are giving the presentation might not be set up like your computer at the office.

Shannon Kennedy
    Participant

I love this!

John Denne
    Participant

Everybody should have this training! KISS holds here, too.

Veronica Kelly
    Participant

Know about the room and conditions you’ll be giving the presentation in (and test in there if you possibly can)

Make sure someone with okay-but-not-the-best eyesight can read/comprehend each slide quickly when they are sitting at the BACK of the room. You’re testing font legibility, graphic size, and colour contrast. Particularly if the room itself will be bright or (heaven forbid) has a light source behind the screen.

No point in having a brilliant slide if they can’t read a word of it 🙂

Susan
    Participant

Keep the screen content simple but use dynamic words. Flesh out the ideas in the handout notes if the presentation will serve as a future reference.

Jennifer Moore
    Participant

Make sure your Powerpoint is accessible to everyone in your audience. When I say accessible, it means for the blind and low vision more so than any other disable person. There are ways to make this happen when preparing your presentation. I am very strong on this tip. This is my #1 tip

Anonymous

@Kristy, That video is priceless hysterical. It certainly summed up my feelings.

Denise Petet
    Participant

I reiterate folks suggestion to NOT just read the slide. If you’re just gonna stand up there and read the slide to me, just give me a handout and let me read it in peace.

Also you are probably not as funny as you think you are, so use ‘humor’ sparingly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.