What’s Your Favorite Memory With Your Father?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What’s Your Favorite Memory With Your Father?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Krzmarzick 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

As I am about to celebrate my first Father’s Day, it’s causing me to reflect about my own dad – feeling a new sense of respect for the ways in which he tried to balance work and family to provide both financial and emotional support. What I’m finding: it’s not easy.

That’s why time with our dads becomes so special, so meaningful, eh? That’s why we treasure those moments in a different way…because it was probably for many of us more rare than the QT we got with mom…and it offered those brief moments when he let down his guard just long enough that we could get a glimpse of his heart.
    So what do you remember most about hanging out with your father?

For me: One specific moment doesn’t stand out, but I appreciated fishing trips and golf outings. In fact, a few weeks ago, we went golfing down in Myrtle Beach. There wasn’t anything in particular about the conversation – no delving into deep topics or laughing at old memories. It was more just the shoulder-to-shoulder time. Being cool. Commiserating over a lost ball (blasted water hazards!) or celebrating a nice shot or perfect putt (hearing “Hey, hey, way to go, son!” never gets old :-). Those are the times I remember most…you?

Henry Brown

Didn’t have much opportunities to have many moments with my father BUT was really impressed, when after my father’s death, found some old papers that indicated that he had spent several years with a very large police department. After doing some research with that police department, to find out he was recognized several times for above and beyond.

This drove me to insure that my children and their children would not have to do any kind of research/detective work in order to find out what their father/grandfather background was, so about 10 years ago I started to write a rather lengthy biography

Heather Richtfort

One of the things that I remember vividly from my early childhood is my father reading The Hobbit to me at bedtime, as well as another story he had memorized and would tell us at bedtime. He also encouraged us to be open to “NEW” – new food, new cultural experiences, new people – and to be curious.

Cool – I suggested to my dad that he record an interview with his parents – asking them all the greatest questions: how they met? fondest memories of family? toughest times? funny occurrences? He spent a couple hours with them doing so….only to find that the recorder didn’t work. Heart-breaking…but a solid idea, I think, to capture the stories in their own words/voices. Love the biography idea, too. I have a bunch of journals that capture my early adulthood…should be fun for someone to dust it off one day.

@Heather – I was just watching John Wooden’s TED talk on Sunday…and he said something similar about his father – that he read to the kids every night and how influential it was to Coach Wooden. And it’s definitely a memory I have with my mother…but not so much with my dad 🙁

My dad died in 2003 of a rare form of lung cancer, and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about him. He wasn’t just my dad, he was my best friend. We hung out, played music together, played hooky from work to go see movies, all kindsa great things.

I’ll never forget calling him while I was between classes at Southern Miss to check in about work (he’d pay me part-time to do courier work for his business), and he said, “Edwin McCain. House of Blues. New Orleans. We can be there in an hour.” He zipped by campus, I jumped in the car, and we rocked out to Sting’s “Mercury Falling” album all the way down to NOLA, skipping out on class and clients. Great show, great food, great times. Miss ya, Dougie.

Ed Albetski

Although we went fishing together and worked on a lot of projects, the things that come immediately to mind when I think of my dad are things he taught me. Mostly to be self-reliant and how to problem solve. It was tough love of a sort because other dads would do things like talk to the mechanic who was fixing their kids car, mine made me deal with things like that on my own. But looking back, it was the best gift. By the time I was out of high school there wasn’t much I felt I couldn’t take in-stride. I wish my sons could have known him better.

Heather Coleman

Hanging out with my father has always meant so much to me. I definitely fall into the category of “daddy’s girl”. It’s always pretty likely that spending time with him will include lots of laughter, since my dad is kind of like Clark Griswold and inevitably finds himself in an interesting situation. I dedicated a blog post to my dad last year for Father’s Day, titled “What My Dad Has Taught Me” Some of my favorite memories include fishing, going for rides in the countryside of Vermont, playing cribbage and just listening to him tell stories. Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there and happy FIRST father’s day to you Andy! Thanks for this great post.

First of all, Happy First Father’s Day, Andy! So many things come to mind with this question, but my favorite would have to be in high school having my Dad at my baseball games. We played in the afternoon so he’d have to get off work early. There would only be like 8 people in the stands, but my Dad would be one of them. That meant so much to me. He was always very supportive of my interests in that kind of way.

Heather Heater

My dad is a (retired) jazz musician. When I was little he would take me to free weekend jazz concerts, which were held on top the rooftop garden of the Chevron Building in downtown Los Angeles. While he grooved to the beats I played with the other kids, splashing in the fountains and running around like mad! Then we would go to the Bonaventure Hotel and ride the elevators. The elevators are glass — at the top they seem to burst through the roof and at the bottom it feels like your landing in water! Every time we would go “through” the roof my dad would bang his foot on the floor of the elevator to make it seem like we were really crashing through the ceiling. It was super fun and I giggled every time, even though I knew what was coming. The day always finished up with lunch at Phillipe’s (http://www.philippes.com) where we’d shuck peanuts and eat hot roast beef sandwiches together sitting side-by-side with the other jazz cats, business folk, and lonely Los Angelinos down on their luck.

Some of the best memories of my life were these weekends with my dad.

Jaime Gracia

Going to Yankee Stadium with my Dad. We only went a couple of times, and he was so exhausted from working 3 jobs he actually slept through the game and the noise, but he took me anyway.

Steve Ressler

So my Dad worked 40 years for IRS and we moved all over the country for various jobs. Honestly, growing up I never thought I’d enter public service. As I started working in gov’t, our worlds started colliding and I’d meet people who knew my father or vice-versa where people would see an article about me and ask my dad if that was the same Steve.

In 2007, I won a Federal 100 award for my work with Young Government Leaders and brought my dad. Was a truly special night and meant a lot to me. To see our interests come together and see how proud he was of me.

Many more memories I have from going to baseball card shows on Saturdays when I was young, playing 1-1 basketball until I threw out his back one day, and more…

Du4 – Man, this one got me. The good news – Dougie lives on in you and all your awesomeness.

He truly taught you to fish, eh? Versus putting the bait on the line, casting it and reeling it in for you…he let you figure it all out so that you could sustain yourself over the course of life. That’s cool, Ed.

Great list of things your dad’s taught you, Heather. And thanks for the Father’s Day wishes!

Thanks, Jay…Thought you’d appreciate this message I got in an email today:

One night a father overheard his son pray:

“Dear God, make me the kind of man my Dad is.”

Later that night the father prayed:

“Dear God, make me the kind of man my son wants me to be.”

Nice…did you ever pick up an instrument as a result of all that exposure?

Aahhh…you reminded me of going to Nebraska Cornhuskers and Minnesota Vikings football games with my dad…great memories – thanks!

I always love it when kids follow in their parents footsteps and choose the same profession. It’s a special way of honoring them and saying, “I admire you.” I can just imagine the way your dad felt about you back in 2007 at the Fed 100….I already admire Isaac already…and he hasn’t done (and doesn’t need to do) a thing to earn that admiration…but anticipate those moments when he will come into his own and give his all to something where he is happy and possibly even recognized for his contributions.

Sterling Whitehead

I was about 10 years old, and I had wussed on running the last lap of the warm up mile for soccer practice. At practice’s end, coach told my dad what I did. My father put on his sneakers and forced me to run the last lap with him. I was whining and complaining the whole way. I dreaded it. It was awful.

It was also the best lesson I ever learned — never give up.

Thank you dad.

Steve Ressler

That’s awesome…love how he just didn’t tell you what to do. Did it with you…

Henry Brown

Because this struck a nerve with me I share with all…

From the Las Vegas Sun:

Father’s Day gift like no other
    Daughter’s eulogy for her grandmother makes this Dad proud

By Brian Greenspun (contact)

Sunday, June 20, 2010 | 2 a.m.

Message to family — no Father’s Day gift for me this year. I have picked out my own.

I am a most fortunate father. I have a daughter who loves me, grandchildren who adore me and a wife who still tolerates me. I want for nothing and I need very little. But a Father’s Day gift still makes the old man happy, if only that it shows someone is paying attention. And, if it is one thing all fathers have in common, it is the secret need for attention.

This year, I got my gift a little early. It was purely unintentional, and it was given without the slightest thought by the donor that it would be one of the most precious gifts she could ever give me.

Fathers like to think that we have done something right in passing on to our children important life lessons we learned from our parents. That’s the way generations improve upon one another and the way we progress as a society. It is also a religious command that we pass our knowledge down to and through our children.

Generally, though, the life cycle gets in the way of our sticking around long enough to know if the lessons took and the message was passed on properly.

Well, I got my gift early in the form of a eulogy that my daughter, Amy, gave at the funeral service for her grandmother, Barbara Greenspun, two weeks ago. It is the kind of message that each of us older folks would love to know that the younger generations have learned and understood. It is in that belief — that each of us will get something from her words — that I reprint them in this space.

Keith Moore

Happy Father’s Day.

Get my book titled, Steppin In The Ring.

You ready for this read.

Its about how my Dad and I never saw eye to eye, but had great love for each other. But the minute he passed, I stepped right into his shoes as if we changed places like a transfiguration.

You’ll love it at this season of your life.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.