What’s Your Government Dream Job?

Home Forums Miscellaneous What’s Your Government Dream Job?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

If you could have any government job in the word, what would be your dream government job?

What would be the attributes?

• Maybe it’s a dream agency?
    • A dream activity? Role?
    • Dream team? People? Size?
    • Dream location?

photo credit: DannonL via photopin cc

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

For me, it’s situational.

Dream gov’t job would have these characteristics

-Short-term clear objective (perhaps a crisis to fix – we got to improve Y in 12 months)

-Clear objective important but not subject to tons of political interference

-Clear objective requires ability to think different, try new tactics

-Resources available – staffing and budget

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Great question, Steve. Mine would be NASA astronaut.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the appropriate skills or abilities to shoot for the stars on this one. Although Richard Branson’s Virgin Atlantic commercial space flight project sounds exciting. That is, assuming it works and he drastically lowers the cost of tickets from the six figure range down to a price mere mortals can afford. If not, there’s always the movie Gravity.

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Is there a job where you get to go around smacking politicians upside the head like Mammy Yokum or Granny Clampett, and dragging them by the ear up to the microphone to actually answer questions honestly instead of repeating vapid evasive talking points?

Because I’d gladly dress like a bubbie, apron, knee-highs, and housecoat, for that job.

Ben
    Participant

Clear values, vision and mission that call me.

There are leaders, not managers, at the top of the organization.

Integrity (“workability”) exists as a daily practice so that meetings have agendas and start and end on time, calendars are open to all, and leaders model and encourage a climate of healthy communication and collaboration and provide tools and funding to support it.

Performance management ensures that every activity leads to an outcome goal and progress is tracked and visible to all.

Initiative, invention and entrepreneurship are encouraged and rewarded.

The culture is one of openness, fun and continual learning.

Darrell Hamilton
    Participant

I am in my dream job. My problem is that before I got it, I did not know it would be my dream job. I mainly took it because it was easy to see that it was better than the one I had, but it was not at all easy to see that it would be an ideal fit. The only external is that I love teaching and I could see that this job would do that. However, it is often hard to gage the quality of the staff, the state of management, or the many intangibles that a job has when you are on the outside looking in. Many of the the externals that you could measure, like the number of people in the group, don’t actually mean much. It is possible to have a dysfunctional small staff or to have a rather large, cohesive team.

Many of the reasons I love this job is that it has the right amount of travel for me, I only work with highly motivated professionals, I get to do a blend of teaching, writing and consulting, I get respected for my work, I don’t believe I have heard a negative word in 5 years here, everyone is generally happy, and I am made to feel that I am part of a team that is doing something important. I have not had a job that is this much fun since I was in college and working in construction.

If I had a fault it would be the location. However, I am not willing to give up anything I currently have in order to get an ideal location. I love it here and I am staying for as long as I can.

Oh, and yes — I do work for the Federal Government.

Lisa Kahn
    Participant

What Darrell said.

I accepted my current job as it offered a promotion and the opportunity to do web work full time (previously a collateral duty). In addition, I got a wonderful boss who I loved and respected (since retired but the replacement is awesome as well). I have since turned it into my dream job. I love what I do. My days are a balanced between mindless, repetitive tasks (perfect for pre-coffee productivity) and the opportunity to find creative solutions using simple, readily available tools. I love and respect most of my colleagues (and it’s easy enough to avoid the rest). My commute is not great (it’s DC so that is no surprise) but a regularly scheduled telework day helps.

Baskin Cooper
    Participant

I would love to do Information and Systems Security with Homeland Security, or DOD (any Gov department or agency, really). I came from DC, relocated to NC and I love it here. It is, however, a little more difficult to link up with a federal community here.

My dream role would include interacting with people locally and nationally, as well as individual and group problem-solving.

Research Triangle Park is an up and coming place in North Carolina! I would enjoy finding a position there. Size-wise, group size isn’t as important as working with people from different backgrounds and experience that enjoy working in IT Security.

Carol Kruse
    Participant

Doing research and developing a dynamic, relevant human resource development program, one that actually interacts with the employees instead of leaving it all up to the individual (when time for development isn’t built into their work time or expectations). I believe this lack of development emphasis/importance and opportunity is a major contributor to government employee job dissatisfaction. It would be a fairly autonomous job, a supervisor as awesome as the one I have now, with clearly-defined periodic performance milestones, expectations of innovative thinking, non-hierarchical office and communication structure, limited travel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.