What’s Your Theme for 2012?

Home Forums Careers What’s Your Theme for 2012?

This topic contains 68 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  Bill Brantley 6 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

***Updated for 2012***

Last night I had coffee with one of my favorite + brilliant friends. She asked me: “What’s Your Theme for 2011?” Theme? I asked. “Yea. Instead of a ‘resolution’ which is limiting, every year I think of what my theme will be. With each decision I make, I try to bring it back to the original theme. Weave it all together. For 2010 it was ‘balance.’ For 2011 it is ‘dream big.”

I love this. I thought it over on my metro ride home and decided for 2011 my theme will be “Create.”

What’s your theme for 2011?

What’s your theme for 2012?

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Advance!

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Great idea! Mine is

INNOVATE

Judy Connelly
    Participant

Excellent Idea Lauren. Mine is

Enhance

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

This takes me back to the yearbook planning days of high school but I’ll roll with:

Identity, I really want to carve out my niche this next year.

Megan Dotson
    Keymaster

I agree with Judy – mine would be enhance

“Shepherd” – I know, I know…it’s not just because these guys appear everywhere in Nativity scenes these days πŸ˜‰

Joseph Porcelli
    Participant

Inspire!

Great question, thanks for asking!

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Loving everyone’s ideas!

Okay…so I ‘m upping the ante by adding an image to accompany my theme…

Sam Allgood
    Participant

I’ll have to adopt yours, Andy, as I have picked up an expanded role of shepherding in our ministry this year.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Nice pic, Andy. I agree: pictures encouraged πŸ™‚

Emily Desrosiers
    Participant

PEACE!!

Heather Coleman
    Participant

CRUSH IT!

Mark Hammer
    Participant

Mine is likely going to be “Tread water”.

We are awaiting a change in leadership of our organization, most likely in April or thereabouts, and it will take some time to get a sense of whether the newly appointed president is more of the same, or a change in direction, and if the latter what sort of direction.

So until I have a sense of whether to lower the sails and feel them fill up with the breeze…..or abandon ship, it’s “make like a dog, and paddle!”.

Judy Connelly
    Participant

Love it Heather!

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

All excellent. Who else has one? Let’s hear it!

Curt Canada
    Participant

Adaptability

Heather Coleman
    Participant

Great one! I love this image too.

Andrew Wilson
    Participant

Lauren,

Like the concept – first stab at this would be Empowerment ~> to share knowledge, experience, connections and even tools (really whatever is necessary) to help others accomplish their tasks and achieve their goals. If I hope to be at all successful in what I want to achieve, I know it will only be with the help of others so helping others really ends up helping everyone.

Heather Coleman
    Participant

This is my passion and I just wrote a speech about it. I love the last point “helping others really ends up helping everyone” – including the helper!

Victoria A. Runkle
    Participant

Resilience.

Elaine Jones
    Participant

Love this idea, resolutions fade so quickly. I think the verbs work best. I like “create,” but I might want something stronger and more aggressive. I’m thinking of using “overhaul.” Too negative?

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Facelift? Too passive?

Candace Riddle
    Participant

SIMPLICITY. “If you can’t explain it simply, then you do not understand it well enough” Einstein

Debra L Fryar
    Participant

Mine is Follow-through. So many things get started and then overtaken by new events. I want to really complete more things this year.

Lorne W. Neff
    Participant

accretion

Did a thesaurus search and found this most fitting since I want to build on what I started this year. And I learned a new word too!

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Nice! Now show us a picture πŸ™‚

Gesuina Paras
    Participant

I do the same thing every year, I find a theme and my resolutions stem from that.

This year, mine is to:

M A K E S P A C E

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

OOO! I like that. Physical or mental?

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

I just finished putting my son through Culinary School and he’s moving out on his own, so I’ve decided to go back to school and finally finish my degree! So my theme for 2011 is LEARN!!!

Lorne W. Neff
    Participant

Found out Accretion is an astronomical event too!

Erin Faehrmann
    Participant

Great idea Lauren, thanks for sharing. Inspired by Candace’s post, for my 2011 theme I choose:

B A S I C

Keep it simple, keep it short, no need to embellish – at work, in life, at home, with my time (family, friends volunteering) and with sustenance (aka food).

Tom Worthington
    Participant

Learn by Teaching

We can learn a lot by trying to teach something to others. Some of the most perceptive questions I am asked are by students. It is only when I listen to myself answer that I then realise the essence of the topic. By trying to understand a topic with others you will also learn more about yourself.

Kathleen Smith
    Participant

Expect the Unexpected and embrace it!

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Is this when particles join into one?

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

You guys are awesome! Love all your ideas! Very inspiring.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

How do people plan on making their themes reality?

I just created a 3X5 card with my goals and theme and put into my wallet.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

I have a more elaborate planning process that I described in a blog posting. But it boils down to a document that I keep in a folder on Dropbox and print out in my backpack so I always have it available.

I think the process of planning is more important than meeting all of your goals because you at least have a direction and seem more open to serendipitous discoveries.

I have been asking everyone this question over the holidays…my mom said “Action” and my brother said “Word” (he’s a theology guy like me). My wife said “Growth.”

Per Steve’s question, I have always used FranklinCovey’s method of beginning with a Mission (in this case, the theme), Values, Roles and Goals. An example of how it might work:

Theme: Shepherd

Role: GovLoop Community Manager

Value(s): Service and Generosity

Goal: Help 50 people find individuals or information they need in nearly real-time every day.

I try not to get too carried away with it, otherwise the number of goals can get overwhelming. But it’s important to tie into something concrete – a number or a clear accomplishment. Also, I always rank the roles in order of importance: faith, family, finances (work), friends, fitness, fun, etc. – and over the course of the day, make decisions with my time based on their relative rank. If ever competing roles come in conflict, I can choose one over the other in good conscience.

Kristopher Joseph
    Participant

Nice topic Lauren! Mine is to:

bE oRigINal

Krista J. Roche
    Participant

HAPPY 2011! Love the theme idea. My 2011 theme is ENGAGE.

Dory Dahlberg
    Participant

Self-discipline!

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Love it…

Connectedness.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Awesome Krista!

Jay Johnson
    Participant

Less Chaos

Erin Faehrmann
    Participant

Nice. I just put my basic T-shirt pic on the desktop of my computer, might go for the wallet insert too as mine is linked to spending/shopping also.

Emi Whittle
    Participant

Health and Happiness!

Survive

Lucy Lester
    Participant

Foucs – Follow One Course Until Successful

Tarryn Reddy
    Participant

Conquer finishing grad school, conquer the job market, conquer a 10 mile race, conquer my hesitation about moving cities again….

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Hey guys – I loved all of your response back in December. It’s about 1/2 way through the year. How are you all doing? Did you stay on course? Revise?

Stephanie Slade
    Participant

What a great question.

I’m not sure, if I’d been confronted with this in December, what my answer would have been. But at this point, halfway through the year, I’d have to say my theme for 2011 is risk-taking.

I’m a pretty risk-averse person by nature, but I think this is the point in my life (right out of grad school, carving out my place in the world and, with any luck, launching an amazing career) when it’s time to step outside my comfort zone and take a bunch of risks.

Jay Johnson
    Participant

I said that my theme for 2011 would be ‘less chaos.’ I created a blog at lesschaos.posterous.com and a twitter account @lesschaos. My involvement with both has been so-so, but I guess it helps remind me of my theme. As for actually reducing the chaos, well it’s a work in progress. πŸ™‚

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Hi all,

We’re teetering on the edge of 2011/2012. So I pose the question back to you: What is Your Theme for 2012?

Jay Johnson
    Participant

I think it will be – “Believe in myself”

For 2012, mine is “Energy.” I plan to pay close attention to how I’m managing my energy – and that starts in really monitoring my thoughts and cutting off negative energy at the root, then channeling it in creative, productive ways.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Purpose

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Service to Others!

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Next Level

Megan Dotson
    Keymaster

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bob Potter
    Participant

Collaborate!

linda perry
    Participant

Use time wisely, mindfully, you can’t buy it.

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

Make the Leap (this leap year)

Check out my blog posting on Make the Leap in 2012.

http://myliferehab.com

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Similar to CREATE, I will focus on innovation in how we deliver govt services.

Heidi Sheppard
    Participant

I will adapt yours- Innovate!

Almer Griffin
    Participant

my theme is to FOCUS, LET GO AND LET GOD !!!

Candace Riddle
    Participant

Go Into the World and Do “Good”: Ok…so I stole this from Rotary. But they are also financing an opportunity of a lifetime for me this year. I will be traveling to South Korea to study my vocation, and to form relationships with hundreds of people while I’m there. The point, greater cross-cultural understanding will eventually lead to better international relations.

Countries that are on my agenda this year: South Korea, Puerto Rico (U.S. Territory), Mexico and whatever else I can add. If you’re not lucky enough to be traveling international this year, try taking a trip to another floor in your building…I guarantee it will be a cross-cultural experience for you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.