When To Check The “Do Not Contact Box” On An Application

Home Forums Careers When To Check The “Do Not Contact Box” On An Application

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Carol Davison 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

Pretty much every job application you’ll ever fill out will ask for a previous work history and names and contact information for your current and previous supervisors. If you aren’t in great with your boss OR you have a boss who doesn’t want to lose you this creates a little bit of a problem.

Obviously checking the “do not contact” box is a red flag for some hiring managers. So how does someone deal with this situation without putting themselves in a disadvantage for getting the job? What’s the right way to go about tackling this issue?

Carol Davison
    Participant

I don’t see it as a red flag. I see at as an ask me before checking with them. The new hiring manager has no business calling your boss unless he is planning on hiring you. For the most part, I don’t think that they do so anyway.

Carol I wish more people were like you. Unfortunatley, I spoke with immediate supervisor and the acting fee manager and got the impression that they think it’s okay to speak freely. I asked our HR unit and she mentioned it was against the law and park policy to speak negative of you. Our division bosses is pretty much uneducated on office regulations, i.e., they don’t follow like the rest of the park world. I do know our acting manager has prevented other employees from moving on, and I can’t say I trust him or my supervisor. BUT I do know that the new boss has the option not to call anyone.

Denise Petet
    Participant

Legally, all your prior boss can say is to confirm your employment and I think the worst thing they can legally say is whether or not you are on the eligible for rehire list

that said, illegal or not, bosses gotta get caught to be held accountable.

There are all sorts of times when you want to check that box. An exboss with a grudge, a current boss who’ll retaliate if they know you want to leave, a current boss that’ll fire you for looking.

At times when I’ve checked that box, I’ve put a note on there – for better or worse – ‘do not contact my current boss, they do not know I am applying elsewhere’.

I would hope that many HR departments know what that’s like.

Other times I’ve checked it is when it’s an old job, 10 years ago or more, and that exboss doesn’t even work for the company any more. And I’ve put a note on there ‘no longer employed at ……’

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.