Where do you go when you really need to get something done?

Home Forums Acquisitions Where do you go when you really need to get something done?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 7 years ago.

• Author

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

Is it a certain place? Time?

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Starbucks at night is my go to spot.

Sonny Hashmi
    Participant

I work from home if everyone else is out of the house. Starbux (or preferably another coffee shop in the afternoon). Any place with outdoor seating in the summer, or an empty conference room

Denise Petet
    Participant

I had a project once, I was making a video and needed to make the open, but we were so constantly fiddling with the quotes that I literally couldn’t get time to sit down, find clips and make the open. I got permission to take the files home, rigged up a laptop with the editing software (we use macs so it was reasonably easy) and just sat at home and knocked it out in an afternoon. Yeah, I had the tv on and took breaks here and there…but I didn’t have people coming in bugging me and I got more done in about 5 hours one Saturday afternoon than I could in 2 weeks at work.

So, for me, short of shutting the door at work (which i can’t in a shared office), just going home, away from distractions.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I work from home at least one day a week. I have my laptop, desktop, and notebook all humming and can really focus on projects. I also like to start early – usually 6:30 – to avoid interruptions and to use my endorphins after a brisk morning jog.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

For me it’s not so much where I am as long as I’m off the laptop and at an actually desk with a stationary computer. The fact that the computer doesn’t move helps me to stay put and buckle down.

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Jason’s Deli in College Park. Great food and free Wifi with a Radio Shack next door. Happy Time! ๐Ÿ™‚

Paul G. Claeyssens
    Participant

I work from home in a detached studio office at least 2x/week; would prefer more and may eventually just let go of office space in a federal bldg. I am an “enterpriser” with the Forest Service and operate under the banners of choice and full-cost recovery; thus receive no appropriated funds. We are intrapreneurs and operate similar to consulting firms, only we operate inside government and not as contractors. We must market our services, satisfy clients and cover all expenses including overhead, direct and indirect. As such, office cubies for 5 of my employees within federal leased buildings costs me over $50K/year. This makes home office/virtual workplace highly appealing and affective. We work for clients all over the country providing historic preservation services, so our workplace is often “travel status”. If you want to learn more about the USDA FS Enterprise Program, surf over to Enterprise Program, or send me a message via GovLoop. Happy Holidays from wherever you work.

Lauren Modeen
    Participant

When I really want to get some work done, or simply when I need to be re-inspired, I go to a cafe, coffee shop, or any place that has some caffeine, music, and moving white noise distractions. I find this also helps catalyze creativity simply because I am not looking at the same four walls.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.