Who is Reading What? What are the last 6 Books You Read?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Who is Reading What? What are the last 6 Books You Read?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Does anyone read books anymore? Why? Why Not?
    For fun, for business?
    “Are We “Amusing Our Selves to Death?” (its a book)

What have you read recently?
    What are your top 10 faves?

Alice’s last 6 books read. P.S I am starting The Regan Diaries now.

1) The Shack-devoured this in one day sitting at a park and read it til it got dark outside
    2) Armed Mad House
    3) My Sister’s Keeper
    4) Affinity
    5) Isle of Dogs
    6) Danielle Steel’s Amazing Grace

My 26 year old daughter had me over for dinner last week. We cooked together, me teaching how to make a white sauce from scratch for linquini. And, low and behold I see a stack of new books. I quickly look them over and there are several intriquing ones laying there. She picks up the Shack and says somebody says this one is really really good. You should read this one first. So, I take it home. It lays around for several days. I throw it in my vehicle and figure I’d make a start on it while hanging out at a local park. Well, let me just say….I never put it down. I devoured it in ONE day. It is worthy of a read. It was so totally different then what I thought it was going to be. But, wow. Anyone else read this? Just such a unique perspective. A literary pleasure.

Well she called me yesterday and said I can’t just go into anymore books stores, there are so many books I want to buy. It’s not good. Laughingly I applogized to her for making her read under protest, when a young child (not sorry at all) :grin”

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

I’ll have to check out the Shack.
    My g/f is almost done with Twilight series and is devouring them.
    I’ve read:
    -Bloomberg bio
    -Startups that Work
    -Purple Cow (always good)
    -The Leap

Allen Magtibay
    Participant

Since its been referenced so many times here I picked up What Would Google Do? I totally agree that for anyone who is interested in Web 2.0 this is great book to start off with. I’m also reading Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. My wife read this book and passed it onto me about two weeks ago. I normally don’t read two books at once but they are so different that I don’t have a problem keeping them seperated. BTW Steve, my wife read the Twilight series in about 2 weeks and wanted me to read them as well.

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

I got a friend ‘s daughter the series as a gift last fall. But, chalked them up to kids/tweener books.
    Are they that good? And what is the Purple Cow about? The Leap?

Adam Arthur
    Participant

1. President Ronald Reagan’s Initial Actions Project (advanced copy)
    2. Emotional Vampires: Dealing With People Who Drain You Dry by Albert Bernstein
    3. Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution to Staying Healthy, Living Longer & Achieving Your Ideal Weight by Peter J. D’Adamo, Catherine Whitney
    4. The 4-Hour work Week: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferris
    5. Dispensational Truth or God’s Plan and Purpose in the Ages by Clarence Larkin
    6. The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

All excellent and highly recommended.

Kitty Wooley
    Participant

Neat idea, Alice. I can’t imagine not reading; it would be like not breathing. Bookstores and libraries comprise a significant part of my natural habitat! Here are my most recent reads:

Daniel Suarez, Daemon
    Clay Shirky, Here Comes Everybody
    Alex Pentland, Honest Signals
    Rosamund and Benjamin Zander, The Art of Possibility
    Susan Jewell, Gators, Gourdheads, and Pufflings
    Vikram Seth, An Equal Music

Reading now:

Robert Crais, Chasing Darkness
    Paul Light, The Search for Social Entrepreneurship

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Thank you everyone. I want to see what’s out there and what others are digesting.
    Which of the that you have listed do you like best?
    I think because we all are online so much….we are beginning to forget
    about how much is available to us in real live books,
    where we can smell the print, the ink and actually touch paper.

Will we come to a state where books are no longer used, or valued?

Frank Costello
    Participant

Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America by Walter Borneman
    Eye In The Door by Pat Barker
    The Road Home by Rose Tremain
    Lincoln’s Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness by Joshua Wolf
    The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Vanessa Scanfeld
    Participant

Currently reading Nudge

Siri Hakala
    Participant

Can’t resist a book discussion!

Last six read:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay – Michael Chabon (awesome book)
    East is East – T.C. Boyle
    Drop City- T.C. Boyle (better of the two Boyle’s I thought)
    The Moor’s Last Sigh- Salman Rushdie (frustrating to read sometimes but one of those that stays with you)
    Cakes and Ale – W. Somerset Maugham
    For Whom the Bell Tolls- Hemingway

currently reading: On the Road by Jack Kerouac and Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie

Otto
    Participant

Rachel Lewis
    Participant

Last great book I read was “Here Comes Everybody” by Clay Shirky. I highly recommend it. All time favorite though is Tom Sawyer, which my Mom read to me one summer when I was little 🙂

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

This is a great discussion. What is Here Comes Everybody about?
    Once when my kids were very very young, read to Charlotte’s Web to them
    they were ohhh 5, 6, 7/8 or so years old. I have them all sobbing and sobbing.
    Happily they all love to read.

Alice M. Fisher
    Participant

Here is the link to the NY Times Best seller book list
    The Shack which I mentioned is number one on the paperback list.
    And I have read Angles and Demons ….sometime last year. I think there is a movie on it out now.
    Wonder how it compares to the book.

And this is the top 150 books from USA Today based on Sales. Some I have not even heard of
    I guess I gotta get busy! LOL

Matt Norris
    Participant

Hello Alice,

Well, I have several series i am reading at the moment :

1. On a Pale Horse by Peirs Anthony (Incarnations of Immortality Book 1)
    2. Bearing an Hourglass by Peirs Anthony (Incarnations of Immortality Book 2)
    3. With a Tangled Skein by Peirs Anthony (Incarnations of Immortality Book 3)
    4. Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (Modern Day Sleeping Beauty)
    5. Death Gate Cycle by Margreit Weis and Tracy Hickman
    6. Serpent War Saga by Raymond E. Fiest

Currently Reading:

1. Rest of the Incarnations of Immortality by Peirs Anthony

Amy Loveridge
    Participant

I’m constantly reading one thing or another. Some recent reads:

Phyllis Rose- “Parallel Lives”
    Katie Roiphe-Uncommon Arrangements
    Hanff- 84, Charing Cross Road
    Doris Lessing- The Golden Notebook
    A.S. Byatt- Possession

Paul van der Hart
    Participant

After reading the fabulous Shakespeare biography by Peter Ackroyd I got hooked: one after the other I also read “London The Biography”, and “Thames: Sacred River”. Peter Ackroyd achieves an amazing result by describing a city and a river in the form of a biography. It makes the subject become alsmost human, touchable en alive.

The books are a wonderful read.

When I found out that (Lord) Melvyn Bragg had also written a biographical adventure story about a language, I couldn’t wait. “The Adventure Of English” is a fascinating adventurous tale about the development and history of the English language.

Most recently I have been spoiled by Arrow Books Publishers: they are currently re-publishing the complete works of Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, who brought us the Britishest Couple Ever: Jeeves and Wooster. I have ordered my local bookshop to keep me in Wodehouses for the time to come.

And booklovers out there…. do you also find yourself using amazon and the like merely as an online catalogue? And after discovering the ISBN you’ll find yourself running to the nearest *real* bookstore? Nothing as cosy and warm as browsing through a real bookstore, breathing in that smell of fresh ink and paper….

So please: keep supporting your local bookstores!

William B Ball
    Participant

Witness by Chambers
    Geekanomics by Rice
    But wait there’s more by Stern
    The Road to Serfdom by Hayek
    Cult of the Amateur by Keen
    MeltDown by Woods

Geekanomics is great for the Information Assurance types who deal with C&A issues.
    Witness is a very long read about the person who testified against Alger Hiss
    But Wait there’s More is pretty quick read and interesting look at the infomercial world
    Road to Serfdom was book that influenced Reagan about his free market outlook
    Cult of the Amateur is pretty interesting read about the influence of the internet
    Meltdown is a good but gloomy look at the reasons for the recession we are in

Good question and topic. In the last several months I’ve been making a conscious effort to go back to reading more and surfing less. When my kids were little some 20+ years ago I relished the hour or two of free time a week to read a good book. Now that they are grown there is no good reason not to read more — internet is like fast food information at times.

I will have to look up Shack. Hadn’t heard about that one.

Rachel Lewis
    Participant

Andrew H. LaVanway
    Participant

Great list. I read On the Road at 26 and thought that it was the best book ever. It made me want to pack my things and move to Denver. Read it again at 36 and thought, “I wonder where that guy showers?”

Rob Ahern
    Participant

I recently moved and, as a result, my reading suffered for a while but now I’m getting back on track. I’m currently reading:
    1. The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan and it’s super interesting for anyone curious about where food comes from, the consequences of our eating decisions, and how we might improve things on a personal level.
    2. What Is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng by Dave Eggers; I only made it about half way through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and I didn’t have high hopes for this one but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. It’s a tough story told in a very approachable manner and I certainly recommend it for folks interested in issues surrounding the Sudanese civil war and the plight of “Lost Boys” in the U.S. Regarding fiction,
    3. I finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates prior to the movie’s release several months ago. “Affecting” would be a mild term for the novel but it certainly held my attention and gave me plenty to think about.
    4. I recently went retro and read Fitzgerald’s This Side of Paradise… for those who haven’t revisited this master since grade school, do yourself a favor and pick something up!

Thanks for starting this discussion- it’s neat to see the diverse tastes represented in the forum, and I appreciate ideas for future forays to the bookstore.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.