Who was your favorite boss? Why?

Home Forums Leadership and Management Who was your favorite boss? Why?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff S 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Last week, I was talking to a friend about a former boss we both had and loved.

Which made me think – we can learn a lot from emulating great bosses.

Question for today:

Who was your favorite boss? Why?

Jeff S
    Participant

My current boss. He does not micromanage, does not use fear to motivate and listens to all ideas before making a decision.

Jack Gates
    Participant

The best boss I’ve had would give me 5 minutes once a week – he was a very busy head of the organization. I invested a great deal of time to prepare for each meeting and had my results and questions honed to razor-sharp focus.

The outcome of the meetings was positive feedback on the results, perhaps with a glimpse of a different approach or view, and a large pile of new assignments and projects.

These were the most meaningful and valuable 300 seconds of the week – this guy was not just brilliant, but he was a leader who inspired folks to follow and excel.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

That’s awesome – and did he honor those 5 minutes every week? I think that’s the key – sometimes for folks at that level their schedule gets moved around so much that you don’t always get your 5 mins

Doug Taylor
    Participant

My favorite boss and mentor was a gentleman named Bill Hankins. Bill helped my career tremendously in the 1970s through his wise counsel, and by encouraging me to go back to college, and learn all about computers. He taught me what public service was, and how to perform it well. He allowed me to grow and he was always there for me. I’ll never forget him and I’ll always be grateful for his guidance.

Jack Gates
    Participant

Steve:

He ALWAYS gave me 5 minutes each week – no matter what else was going on.

Your point is very important – too many folks will make a ‘commitment’ which does not stand the test of even a minor blip. My guy – Paul Jackson – refused to let that happen.

Jack

Richard Townsend
    Participant

I did many training exercises using this question (over a number of years) and this is what I gleaned from the exercise. Not sure if links are allowed however here is the summary. best boss Ric-orglearn

Daniel Crystal
    Participant

My commander in Iraq. Even though we weren’t trained/equipped for the assigned mission, he put together a solid plan, gave the NCO’s enough time to properly train our Soldiers, and trusted his lieutenants (which included me) to run the show with broad guidance instead of detailed instructions. Long story short: what was supposed to take four months ended up only taking two.

That’s the sort of stuff that happens when you have a good leader.

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

Mark Barmann, President and CEO of First Interstate Services in the 1980’s. He made a point of going to each operations unit and walked through the buildings meeting every single employee, shaking their hand and telling them how important they were to the success of the company. He would jump in and help with anything, even answering phones when everyone had the flu and we were down to skeleton crew. Corporate culture is created from the top down. Most everyone in First Interstate still keep in touch with each other because it felt like a family. The most amazing thing to me was that he could remember every employee’s name. Now that is a gift.

I’ve been blessed to have had several beautiful bosses throughout my over thirty years with the County of Sacramento. My favorite boss is my current Waste Management Program Manager, Doug Kobold. He shows respect to all he encounters.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.