Why do you contribute to online communities?

Home Forums Citizen Engagement & Customer Service Why do you contribute to online communities?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Corey McCarren 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

For the past two months I have been holding a weekly online class about online communities, and tomorrow will be the final session. I want to go out with a bang, and for that reason we are going to have a fantastic guest speaker talk about what motivates people on online communities. So who is the mystery speaker? None other than one of Govloop’s Community Engagement Strategist, Lauren Modeen!

With that said I would love to know what brings each of you to online communities like Govloop. Is it for the discussion? To find answers to your questions? Maybe to show your expertise and knowledge.

(Recap from the class is live on the Govloop blog post)

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I first came to GovLoop for my Fellowship, but I have to say, chances are quite high that I will stick around on this community well after my Fellowship ends. I would say that I join communities like this for discussion and professional development. I’ve become much less interested in the entertainment aspect of social networking than how it could help advance my career, though I usually find the discussions on such communities entertaining anyway.

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I enjoy the sense of community, as well as others perspectives, on issues that affect me, my workplace, and my organization. There is nothing as freeing as being able to express your opinion and make a contribution to discussions of important topics. I think of these discussions as exercise for my brain, much like physical workouts are for my body.

Elliot Volkman
    Participant

I absolutely agree – Govloop has been a great place to talk about all of the things that affect our market place, but on a much more social and down to earth level.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.