Why Public Service? Responses to the GovLoop/CampusGov Scholarship Essay

Home Forums Miscellaneous Why Public Service? Responses to the GovLoop/CampusGov Scholarship Essay

This topic contains 24 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Kyle Robisch 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Dr. GovLoop

Today,GovLoop and CampusGov announced that we’re establishing a new partnership to offer scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students focused on a career in local, state and federal government.

The first scholarship program begins today and runs through May 30th. Applicants must register online, write a brief statement on career plans, and demonstrate a need for financial assistance. For details on this scholarship program including an application, go to http://www.campusgov.com/register/scholarship.asp

Or check it out here on GovLoop at: https://www.govloop.com/page/scholarship-1

If you’re applying for the scholarship, below is where you can cross-post your response to the essay portion of the application:

“Write a brief essay (200 – 500 words) on your goals and aspirations as they relate to your education and interest in pursuing a career within the public sector. Explain why you are a qualified candidate and should be considered for the scholarship.”

A grant in the amount $2,500 will be announced to the first winner by June 15th. CampusGov and GovLoop will be announcing additional scholarship programs in the coming months.

Kyle Robisch
    Participant

It did not take me very long after arriving at the University of Florida to realize that I wanted to dedicate my career to public service. To me, public service is more than just a resume line or something you do occasionally on a Saturday afternoon-it is what I want to do with my life. I believe that I am the most qualified candidate for this scholarship because I not only already have a strong record of public service outside of the classroom, but my dedication to serving others permeates my .
    My goal is to attain a law degree from Georgetown so that I can be an attorney for the Central Intelligence Agency or the Department of Homeland Security. To ensure that I can actually achieve this career goal, I have already completed two federal internships. I worked for the Region 7 Headquarters of the Environmental Protection Agency, in the Office of the Science Policy Advisor. I also interned for the Department of Homeland Security Headquarters in Washington D.C. last summer, in Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Office of International Affairs. During the school year, I work to help other students apply for federal internships and full-time jobs, as a Federal Service Student Ambassador with the non-profit Partnership for Public Service.
    My work experience is not the only aspect of my life that I center around public service. I am heavily involved in service activities on my campus and in my local community. I founded and am president of a student organization that donates extra food from campus eateries to the largest homeless shelter/food pantry in Gainesville. It doesn’t stop there, as I also serve as president of the UF Speech and Debate Team and am a nationally ranked policy debater. As a Student Senator, I represented the largest college at the University of Florida and I still maintain a connection to my home state of Kansas as Chairman of the Kansas Youth Advisory Council to the US Public Service Academy. In the latter position I have had opinion-editorials published in newspapers such as the Kansas City Star and featured on CBS National News’ website and I also personally secured co-sponsorships of House Resolution 2102 (The US Public Service Academy Act) from two of Kansas’ US Representatives.
    Even my educational experiences and objectives revolve around public service. I am pursuing a minor in public leadership from the Bob Graham Center for Public Service at UF, as well as a certificate in public affairs from the UF Department of Political Science. The Bob Graham Center also named me one of only two Policy Scholars, whereby I received a grant to conduct public service oriented research over the next two years.
    Although I am sure there are many qualified candidates for the CampusGov/GovLoop Scholarship, I believe I am the most qualified because my ethic of public service goes beyond just an internship or service project. My educational, career and extracurricular goals and experiences all have one common thread-a commitment to public service.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Another good one:

LeAnn Cook

I worked for the Office of Law Enforcement Technology Commercialization (OLETC), until the end of September 2008. OLETC was a program of the National Institute of Justice the research arm of the Department of Justice. We were responsible for the commercialization and deployment of technology for the law enforcement and corrections arena. Later we became responsible for First Responders in general. I was responsible for the research of the technologies. I had been employed for nearly 14 years when we lost our funding.
    I am currently involved in the new program at Belmont Technical College in their IT department called: CyberSecurity and Computer Forensics (CSF). I believe with my background and other education in the Criminal Justice field once I graduate I would be a valuable asset to the Homeland Security Department or any U S Governmental Agency. I had formerly worked with the U S Department of Justice – U S Attorney’s Office in Columbus, Ohio and the Veterans Administration Office of District Counsel in Lexington, KY. Both positions were stepping stones into the position at OLEC.
    My education and work experience makes me a well rounded employee for any governmental agency and with the issues today of CyberSecurity and Terrorism I would be right on target for employment with the U S Government again.

Rebecca Roggenbuck
    Participant

I am a young and ambitious federal employee. I started my career at the very bottom of the GS scale working in several field offices in rural Michigan. Over the last 8 years I have worked my way up the ladder in my agency and gained the respect of many along the way with my dedication and hard work. I have considered myself very fortunate to have such a good job that I also enjoy.

Almost two years ago I moved to Washington DC where my desire become a successful leader was only fueled by the vast opportunities and fast pace DC has to offer. I can’t learn enough about what drives this city, the most powerful one in the world.

I have spent 8 years learning to perform in the public sector and have 34 to go. As a federal employee I often hear criticisms about how bureaucracy and inefficiency holds up progress and impresses hardship on its citizens. I know how diligently my colleagues and I work to do the right thing; these criticisms are hard to hear. However, in my experience I have found that some of these criticisms have foundations in truth. There are real improvements that can be made if leaders understand where we’re going and where we’ve been when making decisions.

For this reason, I have begun my Masters of Public Administration (MPA) program full time online (while working full time) to help me gain valuable knowledge about theories behind the structure I work in. I I believe that when it is my turn to lead, I will be prepared with the tools that will allow me to make a positive and lasting mark in the public sector. Each semester, I spend time researching the past successes and failures of government reform.

I believe that starting from the very bottom and working my way up to National Headquarters in less than a decade shows my ability to be successful in the public sector. My use of innovative technology to obtain an accredited MPA online while working full time is a demonstration of my ability to self start and work hard. It also shows dedication to my profession as a civil servant, and my ability to adapt and use the kind of technology that could transform the public sector. Granting me this scholarship would be a good investment because the knowledge I gain is instantly given back to the citizens of the country as I serve them every day. The return on the investment will only increase as I share and use that knowledge to make the government a more efficient and effective place.

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

“Service to Public is Service to God”. This is what is found engraved on the walls in many government offices in India. Public service offers infinite opportunity to apply creativity at work for the betterment of human condition. Also, since the motivations while serving public office is not mere money, the rationality can be much better applied that leverages resources for the betterment of man-kind. Gandhi Ji had said this, when he chose to work for the common man from his heart rather than motivations stemming from head, he experienced immense creativity. It were as if infinite creative capacity was made available to him which in turn created ceaseless energy for work. And, fountain of joy derived from it made Gandhi Ji lunge in his mission with child-like fervor much against the formidable forces. If Pubic service contains such gargantuan potential for joyful work, bringing one closer to common man, then roads to heaven have been realized on this very earth, while being on a simple mission to be of service to fellow human beings.

It is worth recalling, that Jesus when he prodded people to work for the welfare of others and not just be engaged in applying business mind in compounding material, he called them all “Prudent Fools”. Yes, such it is while serving public, it not prudent material wise, but yes in it much providence awaits the worker.

Public service exposes one to complexity ridden system. Constantly dealing with such a system endows one with multi-faceted capacity for problem solving. Gaining such a capacity provides one enlightening experience. Especially, in the application of the skills developed that ensures results for the betterment of fellow human beings. In such work, also is ocean of source for self actualization.

In my life, nothing has made me come more alive than public service. I have always felt called to a life of public service, and it is now my responsibility to continue acting on this call to the best of my ability. Looking back over the years, I realize that everything I have really given myself to has in some way or another manifested itself in the realm of public service. Within the broad-based public service arena, my most compelling area of interest has centered on developing sustainable communities. Without always cognitively recognizing it, I have been working for the cause of sustainable communities for many years. My dedication to the purposeful education and heightened awareness of the public with the goal of sustainability in every sense of the word has been evident in all of my activities. The uniting force that drives these involvements and everything I find myself thinking and doing is public service. I am who I am today because I have allowed myself to be opened up and poured out into the atmosphere of the public, and the positive outcomes have been nothing short of remarkable. For this reason, I know it is in a career in public service that I am called to immerse myself.
    Initially, I entered the Public Administration field with the idea of one day becoming a City Manager. While I am still completely receptive to and driven toward that possibility, my education and experiences have left me open to a range of others as well. Over the last few years, for example, I have grown exponentially in terms of my interest in and involvement with environmental sustainability. My belief that the government has a much larger role to play in this regard has caused me to consider the possibility of a career in environmental policy. This could mean anything from serving as a City Sustainability Director to serving as an administrator in the Environmental Protection Agency. Regardless of where my career in public service takes me, I know that sustainable community development will be the fire that fuels my efforts.
    Currently, I am completing my first year in the Master of Public Administration Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. While earning my degree, I am serving as a Research Assistant/Environmental Finance Analyst with the Environmental Finance Center at the School of Government. Throughout this school year, I have grown immensely and learned a great deal about what it takes to confront and solve complex community issues through the lens of collaboration. In a strong and compelling manner, I feel as though who I am can make a truly significant positive difference in the world of the public sector. It is for this reason, coupled with considerable financial need, that I believe myself to be a highly qualified candidate for the CampusGov.com & GovLoop.com Scholarship. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sara Furguson
    Participant

At age 3, I was involved in a head-on collision that left me paralyzed from the neck down. In a wheelchair and ventilator dependant, my life changed forever. Instead of seeing my disabilities as challenges, I see my situation as an opportunity to make a difference in society. Over the years, I have surmounted the continuous discrimination faced as a person with a disability and I realized the importance of fighting against injustice for those with disabilities.

While it would be easy to succumb to the daily challenges, I have embraced these obstacles. As a student at Cornell, I have participated in countless public service initiatives. Specifically, I started Cornell’s first Disabilities Service Team to help students with temporary and permanent disabilities. The program now has 40 volunteers and is supported by all major departments on campus. Moreover, I write monthly employment advice blogs for the Center for Disability Rights. The response has been remarkable and has educated people with disabilities about their rights as job seekers and employees.

After graduation, I plan to pursue a law degree. In the pursuit of a career in public service, I feel this is a crucial step to understanding how to bring change to the government in terms of civil and human rights. I intend to work for the government and protect the rights of people with disabilities and all who endure the harsh discrimination of our society. Moreover, I plan to open a not for profit organization dedicated to increasing the employment of people with disabilities. The disability community has been underrepresented in the labor market and the time for this to change has come.

This scholarship will give me the opportunity to make a difference in society and focus on what’s truly important. All too often, people choose careers that will offer the greatest financial stability. This scholarship will benefit all people with disabilities by giving me the opportunity to bring change to an area that receives little attention.

Brandon W. Ledford
    Participant

I have spent my life defying the odds. When I was nine, I was diagnosed with the African form of Burkitt’s Lymphoma, a rare form of leukemia. I was the third person to be diagnosed with this disease in the United States and was given a ten percent chance of survival. Doctors discovered a treatment plan from oncologists in France, and I started experimental chemotherapy at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh immediately. I went bald, my weight dropped to thirty pounds, and I could no longer eat or walk by myself. For reasons I will never understand, my father had an affair and abandoned our family at this time, leaving the battle to my mother and me. Although it was an arduous three months, the medical plan was successful. I was first person in the U.S. to survive this disease. I would continue chemotherapy and antibiotics for the next five years, but the hardest part was over.
    Upon leaving the hospital, I was told that I would never be able to play sports because the damage the chemotherapy did to my body. That year, I won the baseball little league MVP. The following year, my mother patched a catcher’s mitt into the area where my metaport was located, and I was the starting quarterback for the football team. Last year, I ran my first 10 K in under an hour. Currently, I am training for a triathlon that I will complete this summer.
    In high school, since I had to miss so much school for medical reasons I was told that I should just get a normal job and wait on college and beyond. I neither took a normal job nor waited on college and graduate school, and the Horatio Alger Association was the reason why. During the National Scholar awards ceremony, I met Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Two years later, by his recommendation, I interned at the United States Supreme Court. Justice Thomas has continued to mentor me, and I am beyond grateful to continue to have his support and encouragement.
    I continued to defy the odds. I attended the Pennsylvania State University, graduated with honors, and only had to miss one semester due to surgery and illness. Following graduation, I went to work at a top public policy law firm in Washington, D.C. This fall, I completed my first semester at the George Mason University School of Public Policy. Not only did I complete my first semester with a 3.76 GPA, but I did not miss one day of school. This is a feat of which I am tremendously proud.
    I work hard every day. I hope that you will consider me a suitable candidate for the GovLoop/CampusGob Scholarship, so that I can continue to follow my dreams in the world of public policy. I hope to defy the odds one more time.

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

Amazing story! Very uplifting to hear to otherwise my own whine everyday.

All the best and God Speed

Srinidhi Boray
    Participant

So much meaning people bring into this world despite having undergone suffering. The smoldering of the soul that the suffering brings I guess makes people look at life in more clarity and better awareness. Probably this is due to the heightened consciousness that people develop facing challenges everyday.

I really liked reading what you wrote about yourself and hope you wishes will be fulfilled.

All the best
    srinidhi

Brandon W. Ledford
    Participant

Thank you, Mr. Boray. I really appreciate the comment.

Michael Gaughan
    Participant

My career ambition is to revitalize downtowns and neighborhood business districts. In practice, this translates to utilizing my market analysis skills to understand where a new market is conceivable, financial skills to understand project barriers, and knowledge of public incentives to enable the project. I am currently in the first step towards achieving my career goal at the University of Pennsylvania’s city planning graduate program, where I focus on the study of public and private real estate practice.

Evidence of my commitment to this course of action is also demonstrated in my dual pursuit of a master’s degree in city planning concurrent with a Certificate in Public Finance at the Fels Institute of Government. This course of study balances needs of private real estate interests, which I address in real estate finance courses, and the public limitations discussed in public finance and planning law courses.

The next step in my career will occur in the finance department of a public agency or economic development corporation where I intend to work as an analyst on projects that creatively leverage incentive programs. Subsequently, I plan to utilize this finance experience to move into a position negotiating incentive packages with private developers and tenants.

As a senior level official in public service, I will balance private incentives and public benefits with the sound understanding provided by my diverse coursework and previous experience. This includes my time as an Associate at an urban economics consulting firm, which gave me in-depth knowledge of retail markets and the project gaps resulting from an immature market. Additionally, my skill as a planner will enable full recognition of the long-term public benefits derived from the project.

With my understanding of public/private development, I plan to mitigate project shortfalls produced both by the market and restricted credit resources to facilitate investment in revenue deprived urban areas. Successful outcomes of my career efforts will be the transition of struggling retail corridors and districts to revitalized places with wide appeal. My commitment to urban revitalization makes me an ideal candidate for the CampusGov and govloop scholarship because the fulfillment of my career objectives will be satisfied through my entry into public service upon graduation.

Anonymous

Hi! My name is Leah, and here is the essay on the evolution of my career goals in public service!

The average American will undergo at least three career changes before settling on a track to retire on, and it is rare that at such an early age I have discovered my passion for government service and the opportunities to grow within such a career. Using the tools that tertiary education provides, I have developed my own curriculum to help prepare me to be effective and innovative within the State Department in a career of Foreign Service. The prospect of working abroad to help improve and deepen foreign relations, open new avenues between countries, and provide Americans with the same opportunities to travel as I had is both exciting and rewarding.
    At the School for International Training where I am pursuing an MA of Intercultural Service, Leadership and Management—I have utilized the language resources, focusing on perfecting critical languages as defined by the State Department. Russian, Belorussian, Serbian (and Kiswahili for good measure) are all such adventurous academic goals that will benefit my country and my career. I have used my summers as immersive experiences (2009, and approaching 2010) in intensive language programs through the State Department (NSLI Critical Language Scholarships) and my dedication to foreign language and service has risen with my progress. In addition, I have been able to essentially design my own Masters program to focus on intercultural communication, mediation and international management to prepare me fully for spending more time abroad where I will be an efficient and competent professional in Foreign Service. It is exhilarating to have aligned my love for languages and travel, with the resources of higher education in pursuit of a goal that I truly believe in.
    In the Fall I will be participating in a State Department embassy/consulate internship overseas. I have currently received three offers (Kiev, Ukraine; Tbilisi, Georgia; Moscow, Russia) and I am confident that in any of those locations I will gain a great deal of experience and be an asset to the team with whom I work. Further, I am a candidate for a Boren Fellowship (NSEP, Department of Education) where I will be devoting my thesis to an issue of national security, and studying Russian through another intensive language program. Through SIT’s off-campus phase of the Program of International Management I have been able to use a position with the State Department and potentially the Boren Fellowship as the baseline for my thesis—exploring government service on a deeper level that I know will help others considering a government career.
    Given my desire to pursue a career in the government and the dedication of my off-campus phase of SIT’s Master’s program to Foreign Service, I am confident that I am a qualified candidate for the GovLoop/CampusGov.com scholarship. My experience on government scholarships and the potential for furthering my experience through internships and fellowships has only increased my enthusiasm in connecting across borders and serving my country—and I am destined for a fruitful and valuable career. Thank you for your consideration.

Samuel Adam Berkman
    Participant

During the time I was earning my undergraduate degree, I took an Introduction to Sociology course. This social science illuminated my mind to the vast weaving of social constructs that form our society: privileges, restrictions, advantages, disadvantages. It was as if all of a sudden I had been taken backstage at a play where all of the inner workings were revealed to me. On the last day of class, my professor told us students that we have a responsibility, as educated citizens, to “leave the world a better place” than we found it. I graduated with a minor in Sociology.

It was after graduation that I found myself faced with social issues I had learned about and the words of my professor echoing in my head. My time in college had served me well to identify the hurdles we face as a nation, but I was still lacking the knowledge and means to do something about them. I therefore decided that I would pursue a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree, and am currently scheduled to begin my coursework in the MPA program at the George Washington University in Fall 2010. This will allow me to learn in greater detail about the system and procedures through which I wish to make change—to make ours a better nation.

In addition to my future degree, other experiences of mine have shaped the person I am and the skills I possess, making me a qualified candidate for a career in public service. Throughout college I was elected (twice) to serve as the Vice President of the student association, an independent 501(c)(4) organization. It was in this capacity that I learned how to successfully lead a non-profit organization. I also volunteered at a women’s shelter, witnessing first-hand one of the many issues that I wish to combat. After college, I served as the Legislative Affairs Intern for the Economic Development Administration at the U.S. Department of Commerce. With this, I was able to experience the unique relationship between the Legislative branch of our government and an Executive branch entity.

Currently, I am serving as a Team Leader for the AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC)—an 11-month, residential, team-based national and community service program. Through NCCC, I have led a team of Corps Members that work with various organizations throughout the country on a myriad of service projects. I am also on track to receive the Congressional Award and Presidential Service Award in July 2010, further demonstrating my commitment, experience and qualifications toward public service.

All of my experiences—past, present, and future—have (and will continue to) lead me toward my goal that was set back in my Introduction to Sociology class: to leave the world a better place. The CampusGov/GovLoop Scholarship will make my aspiration that much more attainable. Thank you.

Christopher Ramos
    Participant

My Experience In Public Service: Christopher Ramos

Marilyn Rodriguez
    Participant

When I came to the knowledge that I would have to take a few classes in downtown Phoenix in order to graduate, I was hesitant. Before this year, being an Arizona native and resident, I hadn’t stepped foot into the city of Phoenix for many years in the fear that it was a dirty and crime ridden place. Upon my arrival downtown for my first day of class, I was surprised to see that Phoenix, the place that I thought to be dangerous and blighted, was actually thriving and growing. While riding to class on the city’s new light rail, I looked out its windows too see new condos going up, the construction of a new mixed-use development site, and even a few community gardens! When I got to class, the professor asked us what it was that we wanted to get out of her urban and metropolitan studies course and it was at that point, having just experienced the new Phoenix area, that I told her and my peers that I wanted to be a part of the growing downtown area.
    Later on through the semester, after learning much about cities and urban development, I came to realization that there are numerous things that Phoenix needs to do downtown before the city can live up to its potential. For one, the lack of affordable housing is killing the market downtown thus hindering its growth. This lack of affordable housing problem of course leads us to the next, which is the lack of local businesses downtown due to the poor market. Eventually, I came to the realization that there are many problems that could be solved downtown if there were more affordable housing, which brought me to my career goal of working for the HUD to ensure the successful economic future of downtown Phoenix.
    The city of Phoenix is a baby compared to other cities, it still has a chance to grow and avoid many of the problems other cities face today. It is my hope that one day I can take my ideas to the public sector and have them heard, so that I can truly be a part of the development of a great city.
    My passion for the urban experience cannot be summed up in just a few paragraphs, but it that passion that drives me to the belief that I am a deserving candidate of this scholarship. Scholarship or not, I WILL be the first in my family to graduate college, I WILL pursue a masters in Public Administration, and I WILL find a way into the public sector to make my ideas heard.
    Thank you for this opportunity and God Bless!

Julia Cerenzia
    Participant

I am a mid-career professional with more than 12 years of experience in federal and state government. I left my federal career in 2005 to pursue my PhD in Public Policy and I look forward to returning to my career soon, using my new skills to improve policy formation and implementation.

After completing my undergraduate studies, I worked for the State of Montana. I was truly inspired by that work and it set my feet firmly on a public sector path. Following my Master’s Degree, I joined the U.S. Department of Commerce as a Presidential Management Intern (now called Fellows). I loved every minute of my career as a federal employee. Yet, like most civil servants I was often frustrated by the ineffectiveness of some policies and programs. A recurring question—“ How did we get such a messed up policy/program?” – led me to my doctoral studies. The new skills I have honed through this degree have exceeded my expectations. I have greatly improved my critical thinking and my ability to analyze policies, the programs through which they are implemented, and the processes from which they spring. At the same time, my long career as a civil servant gives me an appreciation of the realities and everyday obstacles that can impede or pervert implementation despite the best efforts of many talented and dedicated people.

As I complete my dissertation, I look forward to returning to work in the public sector. I have already begun my job search out of financial necessity. Having left the Washington, DC, area for family reasons, I am pursuing work primarily with the State of Montana. I intend to work in healthcare or other social policy areas. In this largely rural and poor state, these policy areas offer the opportunity to make a very real difference. My goal is to combine my long-term experience as a civil servant and my newly strengthened research skills to develop and implement policies that are effective and cost-effective, ensuring that the State Government can serve its citizenry well on a very limited budget.

The interruption of my career to obtain a PhD has been costly in time and effort, and has significantly depleted my resources and those of my family. I am not a typical student – I came to my degree with four small children, a mortgage, and an understanding husband who went from being a secondary-earner to a sole-earner. Unfortunately, the pay scale of state government jobs is much lower than that of the federal government and recouping the cost of the degree will be difficult. I would be very grateful for the monetary support from this scholarship. I would also be sincerely honored to be selected by GovLoop and CampusGov because I have been and always will be a dedicated member of the community of civil servants.

Thank you for your consideration for this award.

Michael O. Johnston
    Participant

Seeing myself as a scholar and professional in the field of public administration, with a passion for working with youth programming, I put a great deal of time and effort in many academic and leadership roles. Because of my desire to meet my many commitments I often juggle many leadership positions at once, some with no compensation (only the enjoyment of partaking in the leadership role). At the present time I have five (5) leadership roles, including: Lead Teacher and Health & Safety Coordinator for Apple Tree Adventures, Webmaster for Iowa Community Education Association, Owner of Lasting Impressions Events Management and Consulting, Ph.D Student at Walden University, Community Leader for Govloop.com. Throughout my life I have worked as hard as possible to receive as much experience as possible to benefit my future in both school and society.

As an undergraduate at Buena Vista University (BVU) I had the opportunity to complete an internship with Quincy Place Mall (Developers Diversified Realty) in Ottumwa IA as an events manager where I had the responsibility to develop several events. While there were several events that were hosted while completing my internship, the one that was the most memorable to me was “Take a Shot for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)” an event that earned over $2,000 for the local MS Chapter (Des Moines, IA). During my undergraduate degree at BVU I earned a Bachelors of Science with a double major in Sociology and Psychology, graduating with honors (Magna Cum Laude). Following my degree from BVU, I was blessed to have the chance to attend college at Iowa State University where I completed the Masters of Public Administration program, where I completed my creative component (equivalence of a thesis) on the topic of Quality Assessment of Chrysalis Afterschool Programs in Des Moines, IA (Using Youth Program Quality Assessment standards), and during my time interned with Martha McCormick and Next Step Inc. (the organization worked with several local agencies, such as: Iowa Community Education Association, Chrysalis Afterschool Program, and several others) where I put together the first Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) held in Iowa.

The central reason, above all of my experiences for why I see myself as a qualified candidate and why I believe I should be considered for this scholarship is my passion for youth, and wanting to make lives successful for young people. As I see myself as a life-time educator my goal is three prongs with each connecting to one another. The first prong is to bring find opportunities to continue raising funds and providing events for nonprofit organizations. The second prong is to continue seeking opportunities to educate and guide youth down the right paths in life by providing at-risk youth with organized programs that are enjoyable for youth to partake in. The third and final prong is to continue being an adjunct professor in the field of Public Administration, where I am empowering adults with education and knowledge.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

From Lauren Seyfried:
    Kids want to be astronauts or firemen, famous rock and roll stars or superheroes. Few, if any, child will tell you they want to be a Disaster Relief Coordinating Officer for Somalia, or
    a Regional Program Development Officer in Pakistan. At least I’d like to think
    I am not the only person it took 20 plus years to figure out such a career
    choice is not only possible, but maybe is a more realistic definition of one of
    those idealistic childhood fantasies.

As of December 2009, the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre reported that 27.1 million people were displaced by conflict or violence from their homes, with 23 countries reporting an
    emergence of internal displacement in 2009 alone. The majority of these IDPs
    continue to be women and children. International society is not experiencing
    increased stability; it continues to be faced with deadly conflicts driven by
    ethnic, religious and political differences within the borders of modern
    nation-states. However, I believe these numbers can be reduced and that
    prevention is in fact possible. I want to help alleviate the impacts of
    internal conflict, especially on women and children, through the creation of
    more pro-active and development-oriented international policy. This is the main
    impetus behind my current pursuit of a Masters in Public Policy, focused on
    International Policy and Development in Africa, at Georgetown University and my
    future aspirations of working within the United State government.

The most affected region of the world for IDPs continues to be Africa, with over one million people displaced in each of the following countries, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and
    Somalia. In some instances displacement is a result of a crisis or immediate
    cause, but for many people displacement is the caused by systematic violence,
    on-going ethnic conflict or perpetual political upheaval. Focusing on Africa development and
    displacement is crucial for aiding the evolution of the most practical and
    ethical international practices possible for future disaster and conflict
    relief work.

Immediate and on-going causes are both tragic sources of dislocation, but all can be mitigated. Disasters will continue to occur, but pro-active prevention tactics can reduce the incidence
    of negative outcomes. Political uprising and armed conflict will not be eradicated
    in the near future, but stronger institutions of governance, better-trained
    peacekeeping forces and emergency relief assistance can be improved to reduce
    human rights’ violations and loss of life.

Specifically, the work of the Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration and USAID’s Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance contributes to the overall goals of
    mitigating conflict and protecting maternal and child rights. These are the
    goals I am committed to and desire to espouse through my personal, future
    career activities, hopefully through these or similar governmental
    organizations.

Kevin Carter
    Participant

Two days into the second semester of my senior year at American University, I left school and boarded a train for South Carolina’s Republican Primary. I had already volunteered the previous four weeks at Senator McCain’s Nevada State Headquarters, and I didn’t want to sit in class studying the primaries when I could be there impacting them.

I spent the week talking with voters and assisting the advance team. At one point, I was delegated the all-important task of “human-traffic-cone.” I stood in heavy rain to save a parking spot for the “Straight-Talk Express” because even the smallest of my efforts could have an impact. I believe I am a good candidate for the Campus Gov/GovLoop Schoolarship because it would help me achieve a greater impact on public service in the future.

My idealism isn’t naïve. I have interned for a lobbying firm, worked for the Department of Interior’s Bureau of Land Management (BLM), served as Campaign Manager for a State Assembly race, and currently work full time for the International City/County Management Association (ICMA). Through it all, I’ve become more interested and confident in our government and how it serves people.

I actually started working for ICMA after writing my graduate school statement of purpose for Georgetown University. Their application, like yours, required I “relate (my) education and interest in pursuing a career within the public sector.” During my undergraduate course work at American University, I studied public administration and did independent research on the benefits of publicly funded stadiums, and I knew that I eventual hope to serve as a city manager. So, I researched what city managers do on ICMA’s website, applied for a position ICMA advertised, and have worked at ICMA full time for the past year – all while working full time towards my Master’s in American Government at Georgetown.

I’m also excited because, in the last month, I’ve been given an incredible opportunity to serve the public sector and give back: I’ve been selected as a finalist for the Presidential Management Fellowship (PMF). Although I don’t know yet where I’ll find placement, I believe the PMF will allow me to pursue amazing leadership opportunities in the federal government and better prepare me for when I eventually apply for city manager positions.

It is as a city manager that I believe I can have the most impact. I’ll work directly with residents, staff, the mayor, and city council to develop policy which positively impacts the community and those who live there. And because it’s at the local level, I will have the unique privilege to see that impact.

The scholarship would greatly help me finish my graduate education (especially the summer courses), and create a lasting impact in my own life.

Hello everyone. Here is a bit about me.
    I grew up in Communist Romania where “Big Brother” in the form of Communist informants were always watching you, even in your apartment. Standing in long lines for even the most basic food essentials like bread and chicken wings was a way of life. People I relate the details of my early life to find it incomprehensible that we could live that way. I went from high school directly to a factory to work, with no chance for college and advancement. The whole family lived in a small apartment, we all worked, and life was very basic. Fortunately I was able to escape the remnants of Communism and start a new life in America.
    Shortly after I immigrated (by myself) to the United States in 1990, I began my college education. I was 20 at the time, and it was a tough start. I arrived in the US with two dollars to my name, all by myself and had to find employment, learn English and work towards my US citizenship. While I was learning English, my first job was as a clerk at the United Methodist Church. I then was able to enroll at Lansing City College in Michigan while I worked three jobs and tried to accelerate my English proficiency. After two years at Lansing City College, it became obvious that I would have to change my priorities and move to a job track where I could obtain other major goals. I quit school when I started working full-time for United Airlines.
    While United Airlines gave me a job with the ability to live on the West Coast, retirement, health and travel benefits, it continued to be obvious that to be the master of my destiny I need a college degree, and ultimately a MA, so I can better create my life path, rather than have it created for me. Flying weekends, going to school full time during the week and managing to spend some time with family is not easy and it takes discipline learning new ways to multitask, but it can be done.
    In 2003 I re-started college an attended Long Beach City College followed by a transfer to California State University in Long Beach (CSULB) where I graduated in 2006 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in International Business. As a CSULB student, I have been involved with the International Business Association Program (IBA), promoting entrepreneurship, better understanding amongst the world’s cultures, networking, and ways of fueling our economic future. I have had the opportunity to be the recipient of a few scholarships including the Port of Long Beach Scholarship in the fall of 2005. I also had the honor to be on the President’s list as well as the Dean’s list as a result of my hard work and good GPA score.
    In 2008, I have been furloughed with United and decided to return to school and pursue my Masters Degree in Public Policy and Administration. My vision, dream and mission in life has always been to work with the public and for the public helping fellow citizens. Thus, I look forward in the near future to land a career working for the government (public sector). While pursuing a career in public service, I am also looking forward to writing my thesis during the Fall 2010 Semester and implementing a new policy for the Aviation Industry, ensuring a safer traveling experience for the American public.
    In the past, I volunteered and donated clothes and other amenities to the battered womens’ shelter in Redondo Beach, Ca. Also, previously I was able to make monetary donations to organizations including those who assist with refugees, CARE for Haiti Organization and the Peace Corps. In 1995 I volunteered at a fund raising event in Chicago to raise money for families that have lost loved ones to traffic accidents killed by drunk drivers. I donated adult and kids clothes for victims of hurricane Katrina in Louisiana in 2005. Also, I enjoy volunteering at my daughter’s school, Weaver Elementary in Los Alamitos California helping teachers and students through their busy school’s curriculum. Volunteering to clean the loco beach with Save Our Beach Organization has been a fun and awarding experience as well. In the summer of 2009, I volunteered to become a member of CERT – Community Emergency Response Team, where I trained/certified to search, rescue and triage victims in my community area during a major disaster.
    I plan to use the skills and knowledge from work, education, volunteering experience, to obtain employment in the public service as well as becoming a mentor to other students at California State University Long Beach. This scholarship award will be a tremendous financial help for me as a single unemployed mother and it will make it easier for me to concentrate on writing my thesis than stressing to pay the bills. Also, I will be able to inspire others and spread the word that when things get tough, there could be help out there that many students may not be aware of.

Matt Mawhinney
    Participant

I want to make the world a better place. And own a minor league baseball team. But, I’ll settle for the former particularly in these lean times in which we live. To that end, I am pursuing a career in the public sector. I believe a career in the public sector offers a unique opportunity to make the world a better place by wedding a mission of service with action that affects people’s daily lives.
    Currently, I am a Master’s Degree student at the George Mason University School of Public Policy studying International Commerce and Policy. I am particularly interested in how and to what extent the United States trades with the rest of the world and how these interactions affect both domestic and global welfare. Trade policy and trade flows may seem like dull topics at first, but I believe that free and fair trade has the power to dramatically improve people’s lives around the world.
    This summer I am interning at the International Trade Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce. I am helping the Special American Business Internship Training (SABIT) office coordinate visits for groups of Central Asian business professionals who will travel around the U.S. developing business contacts and trading best practices with their industry counterparts here in America. Through the internship, I hope to gain experience in the business and cultural aspects of developing trade relationships.
    After I graduate, I plan to continue working in public sector trade promotion with the broader goal of spurring job growth. In these lean times, one thing that would dramatically improve people’s lives is more jobs. Two ways to create more jobs are attracting foreign investment and improving export performance. Through my completed and planned coursework in Trade Relations, Economics, and Importing/Exporting, I will be well prepared to work in both these areas.
    Though I do not have prior experience in job creation, I do have experience in helping my peers find jobs and know the satisfaction this can bring for both parties. As an undergraduate, I was a member of my school’s chapter of the Association Internationale des Étudiants en Sciences Économiques et Commerciales (AIESEC) where I helped fellow students locate and secure internships in foreign countries. Also, I was recently elected to the executive board of the George Mason School of Public Policy Students Association in which capacity I will help organize networking and career events.
    As I said above, I am attracted to the public sector by the prospect of affecting—and improving— people’s daily lives. It is how I will fulfill my goal of making the world a better place. And if I happen to improve someone’s life who finds it in his or heart to buy me a minor league baseball team, then that would be nice too.

My social networking goal is Barack Obama nominate Solicitor General News publishing. Honorable Precedent send me this email than I share it in twitter, facebook and others social media network.

I am interested to Making Government More Innovative in public sector.

Rebecca Roggenbuck
    Participant

Where was the winner annouced? When I tried to go to Campus Gov, it just sent me to the application again. Just curious!

Tricia
    Participant

@ Rebecca
    Still wondering myself. I sincerly hope this was a legitimate submission on the CampusGov website, and not just a way to obtain a person’s personal information. I have to wonder…No more mention from GovLoop or CampusGov since the announcement. Fall semsester is upon us, and no word the last few months!

Did you by chance suddenly get college information in the mail? A company by the name of College America is now contacting me. Also, curious to hear if you might have gotten a personal resonse to your June 29th post here from GovLoop or a CampusGov person? Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.