Will You be Making the Pledge to Telework During Telework Week – March 3-7, 2014?

Home Forums Human Resources Will You be Making the Pledge to Telework During Telework Week – March 3-7, 2014?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Terrence Hill
    Participant

Last year, more than 136,000 people pledged to telework during Telework Week, saving $12.3 million in commuting costs, gaining back 665,936 hours into their day, and removing 7,892 tons of pollutants from the air, while refraining from driving 12.1 million miles.

I don’t have to tell you about the many benefits of telework – saving the environment, reducing operating costs, improving productivity, reducing commuting costs/time, etc.

The big question is:

Are you going to take the pledge to telework, or kick your telework up a notch, during telework week? If yes, what do YOU like about telework?

Make the pledge at:

http://www.mobileworkexchange.com/teleworkweek/

Terrence Hill
    Participant

If you need some inspiration, here is a great blog post “Let’s All Telework Together During Telework Week”

Peter Sperry
    Participant

White color professionals have been taking work home with them since the invention of paper and ink. During college and the early part of my career, everyone believed that only a slacker went home without a full briefcase or a “to do” list for the home office. But somewhere along the way we realized that work is work and home is home. Evenings and weekends are meant for personal time. Business hours and weekdays are professional time. It is generally better to keep the two separate.

I teleworked full time when I worked for a corporation headquartered in Utah and enjoyed it but quickly learned it can be a very lonely way to work. Yes there were advantages to commuting from my bedroom to my home office and grabbing lunch in the kitchen and already being home when the workday ended. But they were offset by the difficulties in communicating with coworkers and the tendency of work to dominate the entire day and spill into the weekend. It is an ok way to work when you do not want to be disturbed or during slack times at the office when most of the effort is catching up on odds and ends that do not require input from colleagues. But Woody Allen is right, 90 percent of getting the job done is just showing up, which hard to do on a phone line.

I have a telework plan (it is mandatory in my agency) and have signed out a government laptop so I can work from home during snow storms or sick days. But I really do miss the interaction with coworkers and the impromptu “lets resolve this issue” hallway discussion which are critical to meaningful managerial or executive decisions. So until the technology can more fully support that, I only telework when I have a back log of “close the door and grind it out” assignments or when getting to the office is not an option. But the way Global Warming is playing out this winter, March 3-7 may be a good time to “telework” from the Caribbean. 🙂

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I have to agree that there is something to be said for the “serendipity” of interacting with others in person, especially if you are an extravert like me. However, I find that with the right technology – hangouts, instant messages, web-conferencing, etc. – you can simulate the serendipity aspects of being here in person, and still avoid the commute.

I think that no two people are alike when it comes to telework. Some can function in a full-time arrangement. Personally, I find that two days a week is optimum for me. I certainly have to plan for my telework days and my co-workers are still adapting, after all these years, but I cherish my telework days, especially when the weather is awful.

Someday, I hope we can stop calling it telework and just call it work!

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Yes, Terry, I already took the pledge.

What do I like about telework? Check out my last telework blog post:

Thanks for being such a champion of remote work, Terry. Let’s hope one day soon that telework will be the rule gov-wide, rather than the exception. That day can’t arrive fast enough.

Thanks again for all you do!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.