Win a Ticket to PDF – How has the Internet changed your life?

Home Forums Technology Win a Ticket to PDF – How has the Internet changed your life?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Terrence Hill 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

A couple years ago, I asked my friends in the government/political/non-profit space – what was the best conference they ever been to? The Personal Democracy Forumkept on coming up as the place you have to go.

That’s why I’m excited that we are raffling off a pass to the Personal Democracy Forum (which is held June 11-12th in NYC) – The contest will be held between now and June 5th. We’ll pick the best answer to the question below.

PDF discusses the power of Internet and how it affects politics, government, and non-profits.

Thus the question we have is:

How has the Internet changed your life?

Share a line, share a story. Best one wins a ticket to PDF

Terrence Hill
    Participant

I can’t attend this forum (no travel $ and daughter’s getting married), but I was there when the “world wide network” was “created” (I think Al Gore had something to do with it, or maybe it was DARPA). The Internet has completely transformed the way that I process information, communicate, collaborate, and integrate my life with those of others. Before, my world views was shaped by paper media and television, with no opportunity to share my opinion or to debate with those outside my small community. Now, I can reach 1000s of like-minded individuals to share my passion, commiserate, and collaborate on changing the world. It’s opened my eyes to a more universal media that helps me to channel my creativity and engage my spirit in healthy debate. The foundation of true democracy!

Joe Flood
    Participant

It gave me a career! Prior to the Internet, I was working in libraries, because I loved books and reading. But it wasn’t much of a career. When the Internet came along, I was amazed by this free space to read and share all the information in the world. I had to get involved, so I learned HTML, built my first web site and have since gone on to be a Web Producer, Editor and Site Manager for government and nonprofit organizations.

Chris Cairns
    Participant

It’s fundamentally changed how I spend my time. The average American spends 30+ hours on the Internet. I’m probably double that.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

It’s fundamentally changed how I wait in grocery stores when you combine it with my smartphone

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

That’s awesome

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

It truly is amazing the people you can connect with via the Internet. The world becomes a much more open and small place in my opinion.

When I’m not sleeping, I’m on the Internet.

Pamela Holt
    Participant

My daughter used to spend a lot of time in the darkroom. She is working on her Master’s Thesis and doesn’t have time to work in the darkroom, as well. We have been able to scan her negatives (black & white) and email them to a company to print for her. The prints are not quite as good (only she can tell the difference), but it is saving her a lot of time. Thanks!

Janina R. Harrison
    Participant

Before the computers/internet we did everything manually, mail took days to get communication through, faxes were faster but not conisdered legal for court purposes, phones at least provided some faster communication. Now everything is instant gratification. Well, not so much where I live and work, but a lot better than nothing. I don’t have a smart phone or data on my cell phone because it operates in paperweight mode most of the time. I feel bad for people who get so frustrated trying to find connectivity here. I envy my friend in the city when I go visit because she gets directions on her phone, calls for reservations while accessing several other apps. Rock, scissors, paper, mountains trump satellites.

I can stay in touch with people, even if I don’t have direct communication with them every day, I can sort of drop in and see what they are up to through various social networks. I can find information to confirm or discount any information I am getting from someone else, fact checking. The amount of work I get done, multi tasking, astounds me when I think back to what we used to do. Some days I will have a phone conversation, working on something and handling a number of instant messaging conversations.

It doesn’t matter what time it is in another country. I played dominoes with someone from Amsterdam the other day! It has made the world a small place. It provides a forum for people from a vast variety of backgrounds to expand their universe and others it provides a forum to maintain some small sector or set of like minded individuals. Art, music, literature, facts, personal expression, sharing.

I can’t attend either, but wanted to share how much the internet has affected my work and entertainment. I just need to have a stationary bike at my computers.

Alex Moll
    Participant

The Internet has profoundly changed my outlook for democracy. Technology offers a convenient license and powerful means for change. As such, the Internet has given me a reliable hope that more deliberative, flatter, and effective democracies around the world are possible. This refers to the potential we now have to leverage ICT for not only traditional expressions of civic involvement, such as voting or petitioning, but for collaboration even in the drafting of public policy.

This is huge. This has big implications for which most governments, including our own, still must revise current administrative policies to truly accommodate and leverage the Internet for greater efficiency, economy, equity, effectiveness, and justice. From campaigns to internal controls of agencies, if done right, the power of Internet and can now improve the process and policy outcomes of a republic. Because of this, the direction and activities of my career will co-evolve with the availability and opportunity of online public participation. The Internet opens up public service and puts the ‘public’ squarely into public policy. It is both a portal and policy table for government decision-making.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.