Would Death of #Hashtag & @-Replies on Twitter = Premature Demise?

Home Forums Technology Would Death of #Hashtag & @-Replies on Twitter = Premature Demise?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David B. Grinberg 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

There’s reportedly been some serious talk at Twitter about killing off the ubiquitous @-Replies feature along with the #Hashtag icon, according to Mashable and other media.

Mashable reports:

• “Twitter’s head of news, Vivian Schiller, momentarily sent Twitter into a self-reflective mini-frenzy when she revealed that the service might be eliminating some of its core features, namely @-replies and hashtags.”

Questions

1) Do you think eliminating the #hashtag and @-Replies is a good idea? Why or why not?

2) Do you think these reports amount to Twitter merely floating a so-called trial balloon?

3) What impact would killing off the #hashtag & @-Replies have on social media communication?

4) How much integral value do the #hashtag & @-Replies have on Twitter’s viability and growth potential?

5) Any other thoughts or insights to share?

DBG

* Join me on Twitter @DBGrinberg (new account)

David B. Grinberg
    Participant

Mark Hammer
    Participant

I’m assuming that, by virtue of the posting date, this has no association with April Fool’s (termed “poisson d’avril” in French).

If the two were replaced with “Dear [name],” perhaps a new era of civility and courtesy might dawn upon us. Huzzah!

I lament the manner in which technology robs us of simple daily courtesies in ways we tend to overlook. Most children will never come to learn the phrase “Hello, may I please speak to…” because the person they call most likely carries their own phone. Our new elevators at work preclude holding the door open for anyone, because the “efficiency” software directs them to take a separate one. Families eat custom-tailored individual microwave meals, such that “Could you pass down the ketchup, please” has no reason to be used. Everyone gets to watch whatever they want, when they want, on their own screen, such that something like the entire family sitting down to watch Ed Sullivan cannot happen any more.

A live national on-line newschat I regularly participate in has participants like myself that insist on using a regular computer, but a great many who appear to be sending very punctate texts from whatever sort of device they use. The impulsiveness this begets, and the frantic exchange demands that people predicate their comments with “@Mark” or whatever, simply because the discussion has several dozen interwoven threads proceeding at breakneck speed and it is nigh impossible to read what is posted as one continuous debate. The recipient’s name HAS to be in place for them to know it is directed at them, and even to know what the content means. Particularly since users of mobile devices lean more towards what sociolinguist Basil Bernstein referred to as “restricted code” ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Bernstein ), where meaning can only be conveyed if one knows who is sending the message, and what they are probably alluding to.

The bowl-of-spaghetti connections between messages not occurring in any clearly linear order does need something to foster cohesion. It does not need to be # or @, but it does need something.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.