Would Internal Knowledge Markets Work In Government Agencies?

Home Forums Budgeting Would Internal Knowledge Markets Work In Government Agencies?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Steve Ressler 6 years, 12 months ago.

• Author

Bill Brantley
    Participant

Bill Ives has some good observations on a recent Sloan Management article about organizational knowledge markets. This seems to be especially relevant to government agencies when you consider what behaviors are rewarded:

“When colleagues are also competitors, individuals may hoard information for personal advantage. This was especially true when employees were ranked against each other in performance reviews. Instead rewards based on quality of contribution can promote information sharing. In this case anyone who passes a certain milestone is rewarded. Coworkers can help each other so collaborative knowledge trading helps teams succeed. I like this approach much better.

Knowledge markets appear to require a lot of economic fine tuning but they are rewarding positive behavior. If they are done right I think these markets can have a positive impact on organizational culture, in general. However, there is risk and participants can manipulate markets to their own ends leading to a negative impact on culture. This is where the fine tuning comes in to avoid gaming the system. I think there is a lot of potential here but it will not be easy.”

Again, it’s all about building trust which starts with the right training and right incentive structure.

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

That would be cool…for example if you started and 3 people gave you some awesome getting started info, you could give them points/rewards/etc…incentivize them to help new people get started by sharing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.