Would Work 3.0 ‘Work’ in Government?

Home Forums Miscellaneous Would Work 3.0 ‘Work’ in Government?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Corey McCarren 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Mark Sullivan
    Participant

from a recent Techcrunch article:

“In the Work 3.0 model, people are no longer limited to the jobs available within commuting distance. Graphic designers in rural Tennessee have the same access to jobs as graphic designers in New York or London. This elimination of geographic boundaries can refresh perspectives and development in new and interesting ways. It also means that individuals have the freedom to choose which projects interest them most, as well as when, where, and how often to work.”

I’m interested in other’s thoughts on how this could be applied in a public sector setting.

Full article at:
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/04/work-3-0-how-the-employment-model-needs-to-change/

Corey McCarren
    Participant

I’ve hired graphic artists from Pakistan to design a website for a company I work for using eLance. It was good having a global market to choose a contractor from and we were able to get the job done inexpensively. I think the issue with the public sector is that people would rightfully be up in arms if their local government was hiring people from other towns/states. Also there’s a lot of security issues when hiring someone you’ve never met who won’t be working in-house.

Steve Cottle
    Participant

Although it would be pretty difficult to implement this in government with security concerns and such, I’m a big believer in the idea that this opportunity is simply too important to pass up. In my last role, I co-authored a piece on what this could look like in government. If you’re interested, here’s a link to GovLoop discussion and report: https://www.govloop.com/profiles/blogs/what-is-the-future-of-federal-workforce

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.