You know you’re a govie when…

Home Forums Miscellaneous You know you’re a govie when…

This topic contains 59 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Uejio 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Steve Ressler
    Keymaster

Lets make a list of “you know you’re a govie when you “!

example.

You know you’re a govie when your friends respond to your wedding invitiation on Sep. 30th with – Can’t Come – Fiscal New Years

Dave Uejio
    Participant

You know your a govie when you reach for your badge when entering new buildings.

Carol Davison
    Participant

You know your’re a Fed when you plan your New Years Party for October 1st.

Carol Davison
    Participant

You

Carol Davison
    Participant

You know you’re a Fed when seeing the National Capital on the way home stirs your heart because of the responsibility the public has invested in you.

Lori Windle
    Participant

you know you’re a govie when your sentences are peppered with numerous acronyms that you freely use without thinking that others may not have a clue what you are referring to!

Anonymous

When someone says, “He works at State” and you don’t ask, “Which state?”

Sonny Hashmi
    Participant

You know you are a Fed when the word “DepSec” makes perfect sense to you

Anonymous

When “transparency” is your motto.

Kanika Tolver
    Participant

You know you’re a govie when people think since you work for the government you don’t do any work all day.

…… when you know what KSA means.

Cassidy Seeman
    Participant

You know you’re a govie when: You are actually excited to see the new CFR come out

F. Cavalcante
    Participant

When you know that could influence policy decisions that helped democracy.
    The following are examples of what we have:

Internet Use by the Government;
    Creating institutional e-mails;
    Adoption of Electronic Documentation;
    Creation of a TV on the Web;
    Interaction between the Citizen and the Government on Social Networks; (Computerworld 2009 AwardITLeaders Brazil)
    Globalization with release of excellent GovLoop;

The Meaning and Satisfaction of public employees in Brazil and Participate in a Democracy.

Nicholas Charney
    Participant

when you identify with this video

Eric
    Participant

Republicans view you with disdain and disgust

Mark Hammer
    Participant

When you can have a conversation with someone and each of you use three different acronyms or abbreviations in the same sentence.

You know you’re a govie when you hide your stapler in your desk drawer because if you lose it, it’s gonna take another four months to get another one. (Yes! This actually happened. And I just ran out of tape…)

Peter Sperry
    Participant

And Democrats throw you under the bus because they have a ring through your nose and know it.

Tamara Lamb-Ghenee
    Participant

New CFR…that’s exciting!

Chris Poirier
    Participant

..when you read *insert today’s date* Dilbert, started to laugh, but ended in tears because of the painful reality that it’s actually NOT funny when it’s true. 😉

Candace Riddle
    Participant

You sleep with two blackberrys under your pillow at night….then proceed to check your email as soon as you open your eyes in the morning.

Greg Mt.Joy
    Participant

You’ve ever said “but the benefits are great.”

Colleen Ayers
    Participant

… when you visit family for a vacation, and all they want to ask you about is the latest news from Congress. Ugh!

Carol Davison
    Participant

When you give all of your friends new CFRs for their October 1st New Year’s gift!

Cassidy Seeman
    Participant

You must work in HR…

Christina Van Horn
    Participant

You know your a govie when you comment on CSPAN like its Monday Night Football.

Mark Hammer
    Participant
    ….and you’re only too eager to tell them! :-0

Jenny Groome
    Participant

yup

Jenny Groome
    Participant

Not Federal Govie -but….Last year we had to schedule my mom’s wake and funeral around election night and when the local political party was meeting later in the week. Of course a lot had to do with having her dear friend and state representative give the eulogy for her. Oh – and my mom voted absentee ballot before passing away!

Now my mom was the political one. I just like government documents

CHarris
    Participant

While I’m from Australia, I know I work with Govt when I host a Census Night party and playing budget bingo on Budget night is a highlight of my year!

Colleen Ayers
    Participant

I’m scared to admit it, but Budget Bingo sounds like a lot of fun!

Nicole Banks
    Participant

So True! Many times I’ve done that!

Nicole Banks
    Participant

You know you’re a govie when…

1. you anticipate the month the continuing resolution will actually become the budget.

(usually February / March) …

2. then you start planning when to apply for your next grade.

3. you even know what grade means… (yep you’re a govie)

Deb Green
    Participant

You know you’re a govie when you hear the words “government, ” “widespread,” and “conspiracy” and laugh because you know there’s no way we could work that well together.

Ed Albetski
    Participant

Remember that old episode of M.A.S.H. when Hawkeye questions the supply truck guy on why he was delivering a crate of ping pong balls to a mobile surgical hospital in Korea and the guy replies “You know, when I first got this job questions like that used to keep me up nights.” He handed Hawkeye a pen and the clipboard, “Sign here, please.”

When you find that guy’s behavior perfectly reasonable, you are a govie.

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

That is SOOOO true! LOL

Jenyfer Johnson
    Participant

…when someone refers to “this year” and you ask “FY or CY?”

Brandon Jubar
    Participant

On the flip side: When your boss takes away your Blackberry as a “fiscally responsible” cost-saving measure to please the budget hawks… then chews you out for failing to immediately respond to an urgent email (that was sent at 10 PM).

Sign me up for Budget Bingo 🙂

Brandon Jubar
    Participant

We were just laughing about this a couple days ago!

Julia Zorzi
    Participant

I don’t know about that, but if I had a dime for every time I had to rebut claims that my health care is 100% free, and I have maternity leave, and I get 10 weeks off a year, and have a full pension, and don’t have to contribute to Social Security…

Allison Thurman
    Participant

This, a thousand times!

Greg Mt.Joy
    Participant

Not in HR, but I work for a state benefits agency (we do retirement and health care) and we spend a lot of time doing what Julia mentions–pointing out that while the benefits are good, they aren’t excessive.

Chip Hughes
    Participant

You can remember with fondness what a “QSI” is!

Kathy Nelson
    Participant

You know you’re a Govie when you consider Gov.loop your own personal think tank. And you walk into a development meeting and say, “well, according to what I’m reading on Gov.loop…”

Alain Lemay
    Participant

Good one!

Alain Lemay
    Participant

You know your a govie when you empty your bank account on a mindless shopping spree “because it’s end of fiscal!”

Alain Lemay
    Participant

You know your a govie when you keep grabbing your hip all week-end where your Blackberry ought to be…

Cindy Conn
    Participant

You know you’re a govie when someone says it’s the govenment’s fault and you say “Hey! that’s me you’re talking about and you don’t know what YOU’RE talking about.”

Karolyn Chowning
    Participant

I was just using a MASH example earlier this week… Hawkeye, I think, needs a specific part, maybe a generator, and the quartermaster says yes, I have two, but you can’t have one, because then I’d only have one!

Cassidy Seeman
    Participant

So true–So true

You know you’re a “govie” when you can relate to the adage, “If it ain’t broke, fix it ‘til it is!”

Jenny Groome
    Participant

where can we get the cards – got the bingo dots already

Katherine Geyer
    Participant

Ain’t that the truth!

Travis Lisenbee
    Participant

People who see you think you work for the Fish and Wildlife Service, or Forest Service or Customs and Border Protection… and you actually work for the National Park Service. But hey, whats the dif anyway right.

You know what “high 3” means.

Tara*
    Participant

Or you’re always correcting them by saying, “It’s not the government, it’s the politicians!”

Tara*
    Participant

You know you’re a govie when you’re still on Windows XP, Microsoft 2003, and IE6!

(But, IT swears we’ll all be on IE7 by the end of the year and they’re rolling out Office 2010 sometime in 2012! Uhh, yeah, sure…)

Tony Q
    Participant

I have that bumper sticker right above the door to my office…

@Patti Gilbert-Bonner

I have never heard that one Patti! It does sound very governmental…..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.