Your Fantasy Island

Home Forums Miscellaneous Your Fantasy Island

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Peteritas 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

David Dejewski
    Participant

From 1978 to 1984, fans of the ABC television network escaped to Fantasy Island every week. Ricardo Montalbán as Mr. Roarke and Hervé Villechaize as Tattoo greeted guests with life problems to the island. To make the island work, all visitors described their fantasy to Tattoo. The island was full of magic and guests soon found themselves happy, in love, and/or restored to previous levels of energy. Their deepest wishes realized.

At the beginning of every program, the owner of the island and the host, Mr. Roarke, would extend his arms, smile, and say

“My dear guests, I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island!”

Make this post your Fantasy Island. If you could wish for anything in your work environment – no matter how great or small -what would it be? Share your problem. Tell us what you want. Let us share your fantasy and maybe, just maybe, by writing it down, you may get one step closer to making your fantasy a reality.

Here are some examples:

• I want to work from home every day in my pajamas.
    • I want to fly to work every day in my own personal helicopter.
    • I want to drive my new Jaguar to the office, park in my own parking spot, get greeted by guards who know my name, ride the elevator to the top floor, smile at my gorgeous / handsome secretary, take two hour lunches complete with alcohol, have meetings on my ranch, and spend weekends in Paris.

The possibilities are endless! There’s a secret to doing this right though: be as specific as you can. The more specific you are, the more likely Mr. Roarke is going to help you to achieve your fantasy.

Stephen Peteritas
    Participant

I don’t want to telework but being able to get from work to home and home to work in 5 minutes would be amazing. Also on staff chef at the office would be high on my list.

David Dejewski
    Participant

Ahhh… a 5 minute commute and an on staff chef. Awesome! Morning coffee could be ready for you when you come through the doors. Maybe a little morning breakfast, neatly sliced and laid out. Nice island fantasy, Stephen!

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

I want to work 20/hrs a week from anywhere I wanted, in my pajamas, on a network that never fails. Internet speeds would be instantaneous so I wouldn’t have to worry about optimization when working on websites. I wouldn’t need a lunch break because I’d be done working by noon everyday. That’s when my massage therapist and personal chef would show up and get me ready for the next half of my day.

David Dejewski
    Participant

I’m digging the massage therapist at noon! The demand for a chef is in your fantasy too, I see. 🙂

Pattie Buel
    Participant

I want to work in an organization where every single person is excited about the work they do, where ideas and information flow freely, and software pushes don’t occur unless my keyboard/mouse are inactive. A 10 minute or less commute would make it a true Utopia

Can I have that job structure??? That would be great

David Dejewski
    Participant

Pattie – nice fantasy!

So you’re willing to add an extra five minutes to your commute (over Stephen’s five minute ideal) if you can get your keyboard locked when software pushes happen!? lol If you’re IT department only knew…

I like the energy your fantasy environment has. It looks like real synergy will be there!

Pattie Buel
    Participant

No – I want the IT department to WAIT until I’m not trying to get something down on my laptop to do the push. I have plenty of experience with the laptop being basically useless because a push starts at 1PM or logging in and then going to get coffee because it will be 10 minutes before it finishes the start-up scripts because a push happens upon login.

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

Yeah, when reading Stephan’s fantasy I thought “Oh! Me too!”

David Dejewski
    Participant

Oh, man… That’s frustrating when they disrupt your flow with a computer update! Maybe you would like a nuke button to your fantasy – one that blows up the IT guy whenever they mess up your work day. It won’t hurt him – just shoot him up in the air and fall into a swimming pool or something.

We might also add an IT guy beach pit roast if you prefer to add a little Hawaiian flavor. 😉

Ashley Fuchs
    Participant

Hey now! Some of us work in IT. If you get an IT pit I get an End User pit. I wonder who would have the bigger BBQ?

On my island there wouldn’t be such a thing as software updates. All technology would just work perfect all the time!

David Dejewski
    Participant

LOL! Let’s all just have a BBQ on the beach together! I’m sure we could all fit that into a fantasy.

Pattie Buel
    Participant

I definitely think you’d have the bigger BBQ. I can offer a few candidates for the initial “rotation” on the spit

David Dejewski
    Participant

Speaking of BBQ’s, when I managed IT operations for Bethesda Naval Hospital (Now Walter Reed National Medical Center), my staffs took up a collection every pay day. Everyone would kick in whatever they wanted – usually a dollar or two. We called it the Polar Bear fund.
    In February, we’d use that money for a Polar Bear BBQ. We’d dig out a spot and drag the grills out into the snow. Then we’d throw on some steaks, burgers and chicken, and serve up some BBQ goodness for staff and other “users” (our customers). Someone would bring in macaroni salad, potatoe salad, drinks, etc. It was great fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.