Other Small Business Resources
February 27, 2009 at 5:56 pm #67121
I am a USAF Vet-many many moons ago. I have set up a small business social network purely as small business advocate.
I have built a list of resources to help grow small businesses.
I can not do this alone, and would encourage others to join and contribute to the group.
It does need an infusion and participation from Subject Matter Experts and other small business owners.
We are off to a good start, but I could use the assistance of others to contribute.
There is a decent listing of Vet Owned Business who have joined, as well.
And, I would greatly appreciate others adding resources that would benefit others.
This Small Business Group can be found at UnlimitedMarCom.ning.com
At any rate, I hope some of the information may be of use to someone, and especially to
Thx so much.
Alice M. Fisher
February 27, 2009 at 6:07 pm #67139
I am going to be brutally honest with you; I am a web 2.0 novice. I am absolutely happy to answer questions when asked for advice, but I haven’t gotten hooked on the starting a discussion train yet.
I gather small business and veteran entrepreneurial research and business tools every day and if I had the time (or an assistant) would be able to post a library of resources, but again, this is all very new to me.
I will be happy to join your network and answer questions from your folks, but if you are looking for more than that, you are going to have to lead me to where you want me to go because I will never get there on my own, there just aren’t enough hours in the day for me.
February 27, 2009 at 6:48 pm #67137
Ken Mac GarrigleParticipant
I can’t access your site – VA considers UnlimitedMarCom.ning.com *Social media* – although they allow me to access GovLoop… go figure. (-:
Anyway, not sure if this is one your list but I have heard good things about this group at the VA: http://www.vetbiz.gov/ (If I understood your RFI)
February 27, 2009 at 6:52 pm #67135
Thanks and appreciate your honesty. Welcome to Web 2.0. Just as you do here in this group you can do the very same at the other lcoation. As the format for both GovLoop and my little group are both run be Ning.com platform.
1) On your profile you create, on you page it allows you to simply click on start a disccussion or blog posting. You can easily make a few comments and cut and easliy paste viable resourses for all to see and use.
2) If not you can send them to me and I will post them for you.
Thanks so much. Alice
February 27, 2009 at 6:57 pm #67133
Sorry to hear you can’t get access to it. Hmmmm, very interesting. I am aware of Vetbiz.gov. Actually have met and chatted with a few of the staff there once or twice back in 2007, If I remember correctly.
If I forgot to add it I will post this resource! Thx so much.
Anyone can off list me with a message and send me compilted resources and I will hand add them.
February 27, 2009 at 9:00 pm #67131
Darcella K. CravenParticipant
For another Veteran, I will do.
Army Signal Corp
March 2, 2009 at 4:21 pm #67129
I have been trying to help a Service Disabled Veteran Business Owner find assistance in getting a GSA contract. There is information (steps) at GSA.gov and PTAC charges $250 to help someone here in Minnesota. Do you know of any free resources/assistance for a veteran owned business?
March 2, 2009 at 6:13 pm #67127
It sounds like we have something in common-we both have tried to help Vets. What business Sector or
vertical is your Vet in? Is it products or services? or Both?
1) Well for starters, I wrote a blog entry on Feb 12th, on searching for contract opportunities beyond using FedbizOps. I examined a few things there and made some suggestions, applying search engine criteria using the Internet-and the key word “Aquisition Plans”. You may want to look at some of those basic suggestions-They are free to anyone http://unlimitedmarcom.ning.com/profiles/blogs/tough-times-means-looking
2) Also, there are 2,300 search engines out there btw. And, Google is not the only one ( which its results are based on link popularity). Go gee Beaucoup.com for all search engine listings
3) And, there is a Gov location where aquistions plans that are posted can be poured through.
4) Your Veteran friend can network with other Veteran owned businesses on my little social network site and begin to start asking if they know of any sources, even subcontract opportunities. At least its free! 🙂 And, I try to post sources if I come across any. http://unlimitedmarcom.ning.com. I have listed media sources, and all the small business offices in the US on the front page. Register for aquisition opportunities with state and local goverment offices as well. I know, its a process.
Here are some other sources I have come across:
5) Aquisition gov. Official US Federal Government website of the Integrated Acquisition Environment, functioning under the auspices of OMB’s Office of Federal Procurement Policy and the Chief Acquisition Officers Council http://acquisition.gov/comp/procurement_forecasts/index.html
6) Where In Federal Contracting (WIFCON) A nonofficial information clearing house that posts daily news and regulatory updates, provides links to important materials, and features a discussion page.
7) DOL 2009 Aquisition Plan http://www.apps.dol.gov/contract_grant/report_inter.asp
8) United Nations Procurement Division http://www.un.org/Depts/ptd/acquisition.htm
10) Keep your ear to the ground on his key target of list of US Government Blogs., participate, develop relationships and respond.
11) And Ken previously posted a good source http://www.vetbiz.gov
I hope one or two of thes suggestions help.
All my best, off list me if you have any more questions.
March 4, 2009 at 6:14 pm #67125
Thanks Alice for the info. I will get these ideas to him. Another issue he has….doesn’t own a computer and doesn’t want one. Gary
March 13, 2009 at 11:59 am #67123
Gary: Any of the five Vet Business Outreach Centers my office funds should be available (http://www.sba.gov/vets) and there are other NFP Vet Biz Centers in Michigan, Mass, Stl. Twin Cities, New Mexico, ND, and Southers Calif that I know of. Also, Billy Jenkins (202-205-6773) is my Vets Procurement Liasion and he provides excellent guidance and training to SDVOSBs and VOSBs in the federalk marketplace. Hope this helps. Bill Elmore
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.