The Greater Los Angeles Area YGL will maintain an environment that educates, inspires & transforms federal employees into prized promotable assets & be models for organization management that will be admired & emulated by agencies.
YGL-LA: You can be anything you want to be…
August 29, 2012 at 12:20 am #168570
I bet Neil Armstrong’s parents told him that. He had to have good parental support – allowed to have a pilot’s license at age 16 and build a small wind tunnel in the basement of the family home as a teen.
The recent passing of astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, gave birth to a number of articles and posts about inspiration and accomplishment. As a federal employee, I immediately took notice of GovLoop’s Facebook post on Saturday morning, complete with a headshot of Armstrong in his space suit and giant smile, “RIP Neil Armstrong – one of the greatest public servants of the 21st century. And most famous GS-15 ever.” The post highlighted and reminded me of the cool things you can do in government.
John Berry, director of the US Office of Personnel Management, the center of USAJobs and federal careers, often speaks about the vast opportunities in federal service and the ability of government to fulfill your desire of being anything you want to be. The OPM director speaks from experience. From 2005 to 2009, he was director of the National Zoo and talks about the difficulty of hiring a federal employee to care for elephants!
So I did a quick USAJobs search based on this 2011 “Dream Jobs” survey of young Americans, ages six to twelve years, to see if there are any current openings and picked the cool jobs (sadly, astronaut fell off the list for the first time in 40 years):
- Doctor – USAJobs: Medical Officer (Pediatrics), Indian Health Services
- Vet – USAJobs: Horse Wrangler, Bureau of Land Management
- Athlete – USAJobs: Athletic Trainer, Department of the Army or how about the Olympics?
- Pop Singer – USAJobs: Creative Arts Therapist (Music), Department of Veterans Affairs
- Firefighter – USAJobs: Lead Wildland Firefighter, US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Police Officer – USAJobs: Police Officer, US Capitol Police
- Pilot – USAJobs: Forestry Technician (Helitack), Forest Service
- Actor – USAJobs: Theatre Specialist, Department of the Army – in Germany!
- Spy – USAJobs: Foreign Affairs Officer, Department of State – maybe start here, just saying!
- Model/Dietician – USAJobs: Clinical Dietician, Veterans Affairs – no model openings…
As a federal employee in our highest office, Abraham Lincoln once said, “You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with the singleness of purpose.”
Does anyone out there have a cool government job to share or is currently working in their childhood dream job?
And let me redo the title of this discussion: You can be anything you want to be… in government.
August 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm #168574
“You can be anything you want to be….in government.” I love it!
My childhood dream job was to be President of the United States… I think that qualifies as a government job!
Don’t forget that there are plenty of space opportunties right here in Los Angeles for the next Neil Armstrong; JPL in Pasadena, Space & Missile Systems Center in El Segundo, etc.
Oh, and don’t forget Neil Armstrong went to USC!
August 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm #168572
You don’t normally claim grad school Trojans… but yes, Los Angeles is a big hub for space related projects and I guarantee astronaut will make it back onto the “Dream Jobs” survey thanks to the Mars Rover and recents NASA/JPL accomplishments.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.