Helping GS 7-12 levels and their equivalents transition into the acquisition workforce.
RUBBING ELBOWS: What do You Want to Know?
November 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm #116115
If you could ask the seasoned acquisition expert anything…what would it be?
Here are some ideas to get you started….
What are some daily challenges that you face ever day?
Did you really want to be in acquisitions or did you just end up here by chance?
What is the strangest thing you ever had to contract for? (this is my personal fave especially when asking procurement professionals who purchase for a medical university…eeek!)
It’s up to you…ask them whatever you want! Post your questions here. They may be directed at Federal, State, or Local level.
November 23, 2010 at 6:33 pm #116137
I would like to know what to expect during the busy season (end of the fiscal year). Next year will be my first year working as an 1102 employee during the end of the fiscal year. I’ve heard that some employees work over 12 hours a day and some offices do not allow employees to go on vacation during this busy season. I’ve even heard that some employees sleep in their car because they leave work so late.
I’m not trying to scare anyone (especially myself lol), but I want to be prepared for the busy season. Please share your stories with me.
November 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm #116135
There are 2 common schools of thought I’ve encountered among acquisition professionals:
1) 80/20 Rule: 80% of procurements can be standardized/streamlined and handled with 20% of your time, leaving you 80% of your time to focus on the truly unique 20% of procurements.
2) Unique is the Rule: all procurements are unique so it’s virtually impossible to standardize/streamline the acquisition department.
I’d like to know if they are in one of those “schools”, if they believe something else, and then a very detailed explanation of “why”.
November 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm #116133
@ Natia and @ Brandon – Thanks for kicking this discussion off. Both are great questions! I’m filing them all and we’ll be searching for some long-time govie gurus to rub elbows with soon! Stay tuned!
November 24, 2010 at 5:46 pm #116131
As an Acquisition student I would like to know what is a general work day like and what strengths would be helpful in carrying out the duties?
November 24, 2010 at 6:53 pm #116129
Kay – required strengths are juggling, tact, patience and organization.
November 24, 2010 at 6:56 pm #116127
Candace – what about job shadowing opportunities? I’m sure my boss would support having individuals come in to shadow someone
November 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm #116125
I think that is a great idea. I would even sign up for that one myself. If you would like to message me direct we can discuss a way to set such a program up. THANKS!
November 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm #116123
This is a great idea Pattie!
November 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm #116121
What are the major challenges associated with life cycle management and what is good (advantages or disadvantages) about having a program or project in the “Spiral Development” mode?
December 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm #116119
Hey Everyone – We have our first interview!!
Shannon Wampler, Senior Supply Diversity at University of Virginia
January 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm #116117
Hey Everyone! Andy is a big nerd (he said so himself) and gave you a broken link. Here is the new one!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.