Below is an excerpt from an article Bill Wiley and I recently collaborated on in the FELTG newsletter. We discussed some of the pitfalls social media sites present for federal employees, and developed a list of items to considerer when using social media.
FELTG’s 7 Tips for Social Media Users
1. Don’t access your personal social media accounts while you’re at work.
2. Don’t access your personal social media accounts on government equipment.
3. If you’re a manager, don’t open yourself to liability by “friending” someone who reports to you.
4. Exercise discretion when choosing a profile picture — these are generally public and can be viewed by anyone.
5. Make your profile settings private so only approved users can see your information.
6. Set your privacy options so that you must approve any post/photograph that mentions you by name.
7. If you’ve done something illegal or unethical, don’t post about it.
What else might you add to the list?
See the rest of the FELTG newsletter here: http://www.feltg.com/newsletter.html.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.