Twitter by the Numbers
August 16, 2009 at 10:56 am #78037
If this discussion was about ALMOST anything EXCEPT Twitter would not add the caveat that the data is SOMEWHAT old
Title: An In-Depth Look Inside the Twitter World
Author(s): Alex Cheng and Mark Evans
Date: June 2009
Over the past few months, Twitter has experienced explosive growth, attracting celebrity users such as Oprah, and a growing mountain of media and blog coverage. Sysomos Inc., one of the world’s leading social media analytics companies, conducted an extensive study to document Twitter’s growth and how people are using it. After analyzing information disclosed on 11.5 million Twitters accounts, we discovered that:
* 72.5% of all users joining during the first five months of 2009
* 85.3% of all Twitter users post less than one update/day
* 21% of users have never posted a Tweet
* 93.6% of users have less than 100 followers, while 92.4% follow less than 100 people
* 5% of Twitter users account for 75% of all activity (see the report on analysis of top-5% users)
* New York has the most Twitters users, followed by Los Angeles, Toronto, San Francisco and Boston; while Detroit was the fast-growing city over the first five months of 2009
* More than 50% of all updates are published using tools, mobile and Web-based, other than Twitter.com. TweetDeck is the most popular non-Twitter.com tool with 19.7% market share.
* There are more women on Twitter (53%) than men (47%)
* Of the people who identify themselves as marketers, 15% follow more than 2,000 people. This compares with 0.29% of overall Twitter users who follow more than 2,000 people.
“We wanted to take an extensive snapshot of Twitter that goes far beyond anything done to document Twitter’s use, growth and demographics,” said Nick Koudas, Sysomos’ co-founder and chief executive. “While Twitter’s growth has been well documented, we wanted to put the spotlight on how people use Twitter, as well as identify many of the key trends in their backgrounds, demographics and activity. Our study, based on the most comprehensive dataset of Twitter users, provides a wealth of information for anyone interested in getting in-depth details about Twitter.”
August 25, 2009 at 3:01 pm #78040
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.