Its no secret that your average Millennial employee functions very differently than your average Gen Y employee. Millennials have different expectations and needs for the workplace, and therefore require a different type of management style.
- Provide structure
- Provide leadership and guidance
- Encourage their self-assuredness, “can-do” attitude, and positive personal self-image
- Take advantage of the their comfort level with teams and encourage them to join
- Listen to them
- Provide a challenge and change
- Allow them to multi-task, and work on several projects at once
- Take advantage of their computer, cell phone, and electronic literacy
- Capitalize on their affinity for networking
- Provide a life-work balanced workplace
- Provide a fun, employee-centered workplace
Millennials – which points do you agree with? Disagree with?
Have you managed a Millennial before? What tips would you add to this list?
Millennial Monday is a series by Young Government Leaders (YGL) that discusses leadership, management, and skills needed for the next generation of public servants. To get involved in YGL or learn more, please follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, join us on LinkedIn, and/or check out our website!
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up now to get our free Daily Awesome newlsetter featuring gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.