My city’s social media policy states:
“Although we encourage posts and comments on City of Lakewood Social Media sites that allow posts, these sites are limited public forums and are moderated by City staff. Posted content must be related to the topics posted by the City to be considered appropriate. Inappropriate and prohibited content is subject to immediate removal from the site. Inappropriate and prohibited content includes content that:
- Is not topically related to the particular article being commented upon.
- Is vulgar, obscene, offensive, threatening or harassing.
- Is potentially defamatory, libelous or includes false claims.
- Promotes or advertises commercial services, entities or products.
- Supports or opposes political candidates or ballot propositions.
- Is determined to be in violation of federal, state or local laws.
- Includes sexual content.
- Discusses or encourages illegal activity.
- Promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation.
- Provides information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
- Violates a legal ownership.
- Violates this Policy and Procedure.”
We’ve had to remove only a couple of posts under this policy and have made an effort to notify those who’ve posted such items to let them know their remarks were removed and why. This policy is appended to the Facebook info page for all to see.
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.