Heather Krasna, MS replied to the topic Seeking local & state HR to interview about hiring process in the forum Human Resources 9 years, 10 months ago
I tried to write to you on this email but unfortunately it bounced…here’s the message again…
Thanks so much for connecting with me on GovLoop. I really appreciate it!
Here are some questions I’m hoping to cover in my blogs. If you’d
rather talk by phone, let me know a good time to reach you and I’ll
give you a call.
I’ll be using these answers on GovLoop as well as my own blog
(heatherkrasna.wordpress.com) and Career Thought Leaders
1. I know state governments have been hit hard by the recession. Has
hiring been reduced? Have there been layoffs or furloughs? How many
applicants have you been getting for the jobs you do post?
2. What positions do you typically hire for the most?
3. When candidates apply for jobs, can they submit a regular resume
and cover letter, or do they need to write application essays or fill
out questionnaires? Do they need to fill out any special application
4. Does your state use a civil service hiring process? If so, are
there examinations? What kind of exams (written, in-basket exercises,
physical exams)? Are there any tips for candidates to prepare for the
5. Are most staff unionized?
6. Are there any hiring preferences, i.e. for veterans?
7. What makes an applicant stand out positively?
8. Can an internal referral help a candidate be considered for an interview?
9. Any other tips for candidates looking for jobs in state government
Heather Krasna, MS
Find my new book, “Jobs That Matter: Find a Stable, Fulfilling Career
in Public Service” on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/yfxts6u
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.