Survival tips for Guardsmen and Reservists:
1. Get to know USERRA inside and out. These are your legal rights and responsibilities.
2. Find out who in your agency’s HR handles military issues: military leave, deployments and training, post-deployment FERS buyback. This person should be able to answer your questions before you enlist.
3. If possible, select a military occupation that is compatible with your civilian career. Your supervisor will be more supportive if you can demonstrate that the skills, experience, and training you acquire on duty will be beneficial in the workplace.
4. Communicate with you boss early and in writing for any participation that will require workplace absence. They will need this to reallocate work.
5. If available, get on Flextime. This will let you work extra hours ahead of absenses to reduce the workload on coworkers and the impact on your workplace. Then use the banked hours to supplement military and personal leave while you are away.
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.