Paul Wolf replied to the topic In 7 words or less, what’s your #1 idea for local gov innovation? in the forum Innovative Local Gov Leaders 7 years, 3 months ago
“Implement a council-manager form of government”
Having a politician in charge of your local government who must obtain campaign cash and political support to win an election skews the entire operation of your local government. Many important decisions such as hiring, professional services, budgeting get made with a heavy focus on politics instead of qualifications.
You cannot have innovation in an environment that is toxic with politics.
If you already have a council-manager form of government then my seven words are:
“Provide your employees support to be innovative”
So many government offices do not encourage employees to offer their suggestions or opinions on improving operations. In many places opening your mouth with a suggestion can bring you problems from your boss.
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.
Recent Articles on GovLoop
- While You Can’t Buy Every New Solution, Modernization Is Possible When Done Right
- Navigating Difficult Conversations With Dialogue
- What the Feds Have Learned About CX Since the 21st Century IDEA
- As Cyberattacks Persist, State and Local Governments Look for Federal Support
- Unifying Digital Workspaces in Hybrid Multi-Clouds