Steven Rothberg started the topic Learn From the Best: University Recruiting in the Federal Government in the forum Federal Recruiters 9 years, 4 months ago
Local, regional, and national recruiting conferences are great sources of learning for the vast majority of staffing leaders. To date, none have done a thorough job of focusing on the needs of federal government staffing leaders who are involved in recruiting college students for internships and recent graduates for entry-level jobs and other career opportunities.
That’s about to change. On Friday, April 1, 2011, The George Washington University Career Center, college job board CollegeRecruiter.com, and HR solutions provider RECSOLU are teaming up to host a half day, non-profit, no selling, purely educational event. All of the attendees and presenters will be federal government recruiters, human resource managers, hiring managers, and other staffing leaders.
To ensure maximum content delivery, we’ll utilize the TedX format of 18 minute presentations followed by 12 minutes of networking breaks. This will ensure a fast moving program with a large number of highly relevant presentations along with ample time for peer-to-peer networking among attendees.
The day will start at 8:00am with registration and a complimentary continental breakfast. But don’t thank the sponsors for the breakfast as there aren’t any — no sales! And also don’t thank the organizers as all of the money we collect from the registration fees will be used to cover the cost of renting the room and providing food and beverages through the program.
Topics and Presenters:
- The New Internship Program and New Graduates Program – Keynote – Matt Collier, Office of Personnel Management
- How to Use the Presidential Management Fellowship Program to Develop Your Next Generation of Leaders – Dave Uejio, National Institutes of Health
- Why and How to Recruit Disabled Students – Betsy Kravitz, U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Social Media: Why Is It Such a Big Deal? – Mike Panetta, the elected U.S. “Shadow” Representative for the District of Columbia.
- How to Build, Manage and Engage All of Your External Audiences – Andrew Morton, Army Reserve
- How Today’s Peace Corps Employs Social Media For 21st Century Recruitment – Stephen Chapman and Amber Smigiel, Peace Corps
- Expanding Your Recruiting Communications Reach Into Virtual Worlds While Working Within A Limited Budget – Frank Stipe, Internal Revenue Service
- How the IRS Uses Cell Phone Text Messaging Campaigns to Reach Select Groups of College Students – Shawn Gogas, Internal Revenue Service
- Topic TBA – Ken Gaffey, Transportation Security Administration
- 8:00am – 8:30am – Registration, networking, and complimentary continental breakfast.
- 8:30am – 9:00am – Welcome from GWU Career Center, CollegeRecruiter.com, and RECSOLU.
- 9:00am – 9:18am – First presentation of 18 minutes (yes, only 18 minutes!) specifically designed for federal government staffing leaders whose responsibilities include college recruiting and university relations.
- 9:19am – 9:30am – Break for networking, coffee refills, and leg stretching.
- 9:30am – 1:00pm – Repeat 18 minute presentation and 12 minute break schedule.
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.