David S. Reed started the topic Call for Crowdsourcing: Public Administration SolveAthon in the forum National Capital Area Chapter of the American Society for Public Administration 7 years, 9 months ago
The American Society for Public Administration, National Capital Area Chapter, is organizing the first Public Administration SolveAthon, to be held in Washington DC in 2013.
What is Public Administration SolveAthon?
- It’s a festival where teams compete to create the most valuable contribution to solving public administration problems.
- It’s like a hackathon, but instead of being limited to software, a team’s solution might be a more efficient way to organize a business process, or a more insightful analysis of existing data, or a more effective control against waste, fraud and abuse.
- It’s when public administrators come together, choose up teams, and work together intensively on exciting ideas.
Call for Crowdsourcing
We want examples of what a team might produce during Public Administration SolveAthon. We will use these examples to explain SolveAthon to potential participants, partners and sponsors. Here are some examples we already found:
- EpiCell – a mash up of geographic data for dengue fever cases and cell phone towers, to show where a mobile phone-enabled microscope would help public health programs. This was an actual project at San Francisco Science Hack Day. http://epicell.github.com
- Earned Value Management puppet show – Project Manager Bunny learns that even fixed-price contracts have cost risk, and how to manage it with EVM. This is an example one of the SolveAthon team is developing. http://youtu.be/5nWxv6QKS7I
- MoonBase Alpha – a video game from NASA to help teach science. http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html
We want more and better examples. Send us one, and if we judge yours the best, you will be Honorary Grand Marshal of SolveAthon, which includes free admission. Your example should show what a small team of public administrators might accomplish during one intensive weekend. Send your example to [email protected] by October 5, 2012.
For more information about Public Administration SolveAthon, see http://publicadministrationsolveathon.wordpress.com/
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.