John van Santen replied to the topic What Are Your Top 3 Suggestions to Improve Government in 2013? in the forum Miscellaneous 6 years, 10 months ago
1) Address grade inflation (GS-12-14 Administrative Assistants – really???)
2) Restructure workforce to emphasize self-service and tools – eliminate administrative assistants except for heads of agencies
3) 360º reviews – all managers, at every level, should be required to solicit and consider feedback from every employee’s peers, subordinates and management in performance reviews.
4) Elected and bureaucratic officials must determine the value of the government workforce and halt associating the workforce with negative characteristics and using the workforce as the means to win favor with the electorate. Arbitrary cuts, wage freezes, and poor workforce planning are destroying morale, service provided, and discouraging potential employees. Shortsighted political games are harming longterm workforce effectiveness. Size the workforce according to needs and set high expectations for performance; do not keep scrubs on the payroll – there are plenty of ambitious, capable people who can fill the slots for those who consume excessive management attention.
5) Get better middle management.
6) Counsel individuals who file repeated nuisance OIG/EEO/MSPB claims. More effective prefiling assistance should be provided to improve the quality of filed claims and to screen out the frivolous ones. These protections are serious and claims should be serious and abusers should be dealt with.
Poll of the Week
Could your inbox use a little more awesome?
Sign up to get a daily dose of awesome gov-focused resources, trainings, blogs and articles to help you do you job better.