The National Library of Medicinedeveloped an app catered to emergency responders. WISER or the Wireless Information Systems for Emergency Responders app is designed to assist first responder users in hazardous material incidents. First responders need to make decisions quickly in dangerous situations and they need accurate information to make these decisions. With the WISER app, users will gain quick access to information from TOXNET Hazardous Substance Data Bank to help overcome obstacles.
The WISER app is available for the iPhone, Blackberry and Android platforms. According to the National Library of Medicine, some of the WISER app’s features are:
* Rapid access to the most important information about a hazardous substance by an intelligent synopsis engine and display called “Key Info”
* Intuitive, simple, logical user interface developed by working with experienced first responders
* Comprehensive decision support, including guidance on immediate actions necessary to save lives and protect the environment
* Access to NLM’s Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), which contains detailed peer-reviewed information on hazardous substances
* User Profiles enable users to specify the role they are currently playing at the scene of an incident: first responder, HAZMAT specialist, or EMS specialist. The key information presented to the user about a substance varies depending on this role, so that the information most relevant to the respective job can be quickly accessed.
* Radiological and biological substance support.
* Mobile support, providing first responders critical information where they need it, when they need it.
**reposted from the Mobile Gov Blog from the Office of Citizen Services & Innovative Technologies at GSA**