One of the things I’ve noticed about myself is that I seem to perform better if I’m in what I like to think of as rhythm. A lot of times when I start feeling overwhelmed or overloaded I’ll try to take a step back and look at the way I’m living. I ask myself some simple questions:
1. Am I keeping to regular schedule? Meaning:
- Am I getting to bed at around the same times?
- Eating at around the same times?
- Generally performing activities at the same times.
2. Am I giving myself time to get things done properly? Meaning:
- Am I managing my time blocks so that I can fully complete one task before moving on to the next?
- Am I managing my to do list so that I have a realistic chance of completing everything on it?
- Am I budgeting time to standup, stretch and eat?
3. Am I doing things properly? Meaning:
- Am I multi-tasking? In my experience nothing kills real productivity like the illusion of productivity that comes with multi-tasking.
- Am I reading what I write once out loud before I hit send, thinking before I speak and pausing before I leap into action?
- Am I delegating the things I can and allowing others to help me succeed?
Most of the time when I start feeling crazed I can run down this list and figure out pretty quickly where I went wrong. For me the big ones are over scheduling, under delegating and managing my time blocks. Do any of things on this list make your list of ways to drive yourself crazy?