There are some general best practices and trends that I’m noticing are emerging in modern “social” organizations. Here are some governance recommendations based on these “best practices”:
- Social media strategy should fall under the portfolio of marketing , communications or equivalent
- Official social media engagement should fall under client services, customer service, or equivalent.
- Social media content should come from the various content experts in the organization
- Social media guidelines should be created by the “strategy” team and approved by HR and Legal
- Unofficial social media participation can come from anybody at any time. Nobody “owns” it. Need to follow guidelines, which are merely reminders as opposed to restrictions. Note: It is crucial that your organization positions them that way as well.
I’d be curious to hear thoughts from other consultants and/or practitioners. What are you noticing?