You see a job posted online and decide to toss your hat in the ring. Why not? You’re online. It’s easy to apply.
If that’s your attitude you’re wasting your time. And the employer’s time. When you apply for a job, meet all the critical requirements and 90% of all the requirements.
The only way you’re going to get a job if you don’t meet 90% of the requirements is if you know the hiring manager or recruiter. Personally. Otherwise, why would they hire someone who doesn’t meet the job qualifications?
How do you do it?
- Copy or print the job announcement or ad
- Review line by line to understand the requirements
- Highlight stated goals and objectives
- Check the employer’s web site for added info and corporate values
- Chart their expectations and your actual match to each goal and requirement
- State your matches clearly throughout your resume, application and cover letter